Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games View previous topic
View next topic
[WWII] Online...
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post [WWII] Online... Reply with quote
Lo,

May have mentioned this one at some point, and at how ugly it is but I find I am wrong now as a future update confirms that they are working to make it look prettier and more up to date.

So far the improvements are mainly environmental, lighting, terrain etc but it's looking quite nice and atmospheric

http://www.mirror.wwiionline.com/images/newsletter/062306/190_1.jpg

http://www.mirror.wwiionline.com/images/newsletter/062306/daimler.jpg

http://www.mirror.wwiionline.com/images/newsletter/062306/inf_2.jpg

Well they are an improvement!

Carter.

ps - I imagine that the learning curve is somewhat everest-like still tho

Last edited by Carter on Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:32 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
This game has been hovering on my radar for ages. I might just give it a go to see what its like.

Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:24 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Well I've decided to give this another go for some reason...bored I guess

Back from holiday and I just want to like it so I'll be playing it tomorrow probably.

Carter.

edit * - I'll post on my second findings on Sunday
Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Okeeee so second impressions are...

Difficult to say really as there is so much to cover really.

First things first - progression...Exp type points are gained from "successes" (which include kills, captures, defences etc...) and these don't seem to come very often so progression is long...or it could be because i'm crap of course hehe! No change there then...

You start on recruit, in all of the forces, and progress through the ranks exists as per std forces ranks etc.

When you've advanced to officer status u get to do more advanced mission plans ala CR.

Army - Basic units include Sapper, Rifleman (which you're stuck with on Recruit), Sniper etc. If you've got the rank you can do any of them if there any available.
Movement and combat are your basic FPS keyset but it has some nice differences such as a free cam view allowing you to look 180 deg up/down/left/right whilst moving etc...Running etc. has a sort of "tiredness" factor - you get fatigued basically if you run too much. This isn't too much of a bind tho.

Combat is twitch based and your basic rifleman is equiped with enfield rifle, 6x grenades, 2x smoke grens, knife, extra ammo. AFAIk there are no medics in this game so when u inured or dead, u stay that way.

Air force - You start out stuck with bombers (as I am still!) but the flight engine is pretty good. Landings are fairly forgiving (at least in this aircraft - Blenheim MkIV) but without support (and so far I haven't had any) you're easy prey for nme fighters sadly. The flight model really needs a good j'stick to enjoy it to it's full. It includes, flap control, gear, trim adjustments etc. If you know and like flight sims you wil get on with the AF fine. Bombing so far is a pain. Bombardier position is great, I just can't read the numbers on the F'ing bombsight for flight speed sadly! You have to fly straight and level (hey no sarcycomments about my Lib flying please!), autopilot on (yes I realise auto pilot is a bit silly for WW2 game) set bomb ALT and Wind speed. It's cool but so far I've not seen any of my bombs go boom - something that the likes of IL2 and other normal sims do with style.

Missions (sorties) so far haven't taken much more than about 30mins to complete. And making a successful takeoff, deliver payload and land is pretty cool No EXT views btw.

Navy - Not had much luck with this really. You start off with a small ship, it has about four positions but I got fed up trying to work out the controls

Armored units come under the ARMY heading and again you are limited to what you can use depending on what your rank is. Artillary needs to be towed to get in the right postion to be usefull whereas tanks (again they are fully simulated ie individual throttles, clutches and gears for each track!) really need a full crew to do them justice.

This is more Op:flashpoint than CoD or MoH etc... However when in multi-seater vehicles there doesn't appear to be any AI for virtual crew - which sucks.

Other major criticism is the collision detection / physics - there don't seem to be any for units (ie you can walk through each other and vehicles etc) which looks rubbish sadly. Also the graphics aren't great - in fact they are currently more PS1 than 360 if u know what I mean. But it works well, framerate is pretty good. Not sure what the time speed is but day truns to night gradually etc and it's pretty cool. Night is er very dark, and seeing tracers fly by and hearing the crackle of gun fire and explosions in teh distance is very cool. It has a very good atmosphere.

*This game is way more SIM than PS btw*

If the interface was easier to use, and you had more control of your keysets etc. (outside of the game) I would recommend this to everyone. But the fact that getting the most out of it is a bit of a black art I'll leave it up to you guys as to whether you take the plunge or not.

I like it so far. I particularly the Air Force bit as I'm a simmer at heart. The army offers a greater variety though as it includes vehicles (mobile spawns etc.) and the different classes of soldiers, armored units etc. but the nme AI can be brutally accurate from far too far away for my liking.

All in all I'd give it a 7.5/10

Carter.

ps - Will edit this for spillong mastokes and other details later.
Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:56 am View user's profile Send private message
Crendel
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
I don't think I'll fancy it much but it sounds as if it could be interesting if there's more people playing it. Gonna download and give the trial a go.

Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:48 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Like I said. Setting up the key config the way you feel comfortable playing it is almost a black art

Good luck and I hope u enjoy it

Carter.

*edit* - the webby is http://www.wwiionline.com/ btw
Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Well last update I guess unless others are interested...

Tried a few different roles today.

Armored Vehicle - Daimler Armored car with a small gun with a big bang

Tarted around in this for an hour or so. Got no kills but came pretty close. It's faster than your standard Churchill but obviously not as well armored. Got killed (read as blown to shit) twice and rolled it spectacularly twice also (It's great hitting ridges at about 50mph in this thing!)

Navy - Like I said above. you get a small boat...woopidoo. It was boring what more can I say but I guess if it's your thing ou'd like it.

Air force - more bombing, zero kills, was fun tho...still can't get the damn bomb sight right

Back to Army again... Two massive fights today, one attacking and one defending a small town. Large heavy armor with air support plus infantry backup = well me dying mostly but it was good Finsihed on a death and a kill so not the worst I guess!

Carter.
Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I might have to give this a go soon.

It sounds like a hard core version on PS without the nice coding.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:34 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Munkhi
BR (Barrel Rank) 7
BR (Barrel Rank) 7

Post Reply with quote
Sim fans usually prefer detail to graphics anyway.

Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 am View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
This will be my last update for this game info (this will be the last - honest!) and it goes something like this...

Really enjoying this game now I've got into it more. Played it over the weekend and mon / tues night and I've decided that it is rather good, certainly better than I've given it credit for in other posts. Yes the graphics are worse than PS but then afaik the budget is even lower and the team of devs is a small indie company.

There are quite a few "squads" or "Outfits" by another name. These aren't exclusively US, seem to be a lot of UK / Euro on there - quite a wide selection of players still there.

Your basic play involves entering a mission (missions can be created by people with high enough rank) and these are either attack or defend (point or area). Similar to PS the quality of the mission is influenced by the mission leader. Some have been fantastic and others terrible tbh!

Last night it was er night time, and the guns were booming over my head traces lighting up the sky. Planes were dog fighting above, stukas screaming air brakes could be heard whilst they bombed our AA and arty positions. The atmosphere can be real tense at times.

On a pesonal level I'm as shit at this game as I am at PS (in fact probably worse) but it's compelling playing it after while. My only annoyance is the progression system - it's harsh frankly and nowhere near as easy as PS. For instance if u go out on a mission, kill a bunch of guys (more than two would suit me thus far!) and return to base you get more than if u do the said same thing but die in the process. You get points for base / facility captures (similar to PS), recaptures etc... It's just on a much wider scale. You can switch from infantry to air force (or navy if u really have to!) and back again at your whim...The only limit here is on available missions of which there always seem to be some defence or attack going on somewhere. The game world is huge and is a persistent universe (obviously based heavily on the european conflict -> 1940 to 1944) with mission outcomes literally changing the look of the overall battle map.

The only restriction on timing relates to switching sides ie axis -> allies.

So I'm sold on this for a while.

I want to see what vehs / soldier class's I get at the next rank, particularly looking forward to my first paratroop drop

Carter.
Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
mmm might try the trial. Anyone else who wants to give it a go 14 day trial here

https://secure.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/user/promo.jsps

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:45 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Crendel
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Got it downloaded and installed, I just haven't had time to try it out yet.

Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:47 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Hope some1 else can make it on

Full client install is here:

ftp://downloads.wwiionline.com/wwiiol0001236.exe

and it's only about 400MB

Carter.

ps - or this link if u use bitTorrent - Enjoy.

ftp://downloads.wwiionline.com/torrents/wwiiol0001236.exe.torrent
Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
As an aside it's worth mentioning that if any of u do try it out there's both on and offline training available. Offline via the folder in your start menu and online via this link:

http://www.mirror.wwiionline.com/launch/launch_training.html

My advice would be to do the training first. You get to try any and every unit / vehicle available and that may be enough to put u off! I don't know!

But u can also mess with the key config in there too so it's worth it for fine tuning your controls a bit.

Good luck any1 who decides to give it a go and .pm CarterKo if I'm on

Carter.

Last edited by Carter on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Silinder
BR (Barrel Rank) 2
BR (Barrel Rank) 2

Post Reply with quote
I tired this last year. I wasn't impressed by it, sorry

Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?

Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: