New Site Design
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post New Site Design Reply with quote
http://fightcluboutfit.guildwork.com/

Pros:
- New design!
- Much easier to update even for people with no coding knowledge, lots of drag/drop and simple additions.
- Can run up sections of the site for specific games in about half an hour.
- Forum administration is easier than phpBB and sections can be moved with click & drag.
- Ability to upload images into folders set up by admins.
- Event calender for putting things like Pint Night and any other gatherings on that everyone can see and respond to.
- Currently character sign-ups/raid planner/etc are focused on WoW and FFXIV but plans to expand game list may make that section become more useful to us in the future.
- Site hosting and 2GB of space works out at around 6 a month.
- Can set domain name up so it's the standard fightcluboutfit.co.uk.
- Can add TS3 status to main site (haven't done it yet because I don't know the query port for the server)
- Sections of site can be further customised by people who know how to code CSS/JS if needed.
- Should funding ever dry up the site won't just disappear, drops down to free tier and loses domain name (not removed just not showing) and gets ads.
- One of the widgets you can add is a simple BBCode box, which lets you create things using BBCode just like you do on a forum using all the usual tags.

Cons:
- No way to transfer current forum over to new site.
- Everyone has to sign up to Guildwork site to post on new forum or see anything hidden from Guests/Registered Members (nothing yet).
- Can't run old forum in conjunction with new site and have everything under fightcluboutfit.co.uk, one or the other would have a different name.

Some screenies of the admin side of things:

This is the setup of the main page, you can see how it's split into two columns and how widgets make up the content in each as added here. Adding/removing column/adjusting columns and widgets is extremely easy.

Creating a new page is as easy as setting the name, what the url to it will be, and defining the access level. Then you just go to the previous image and set up columns and widgets.

For anyone set as Admin the forum has a simple "Create Forum" button and as you can see if you look in the top right you can move individual forums on (as shown here) entire categories around with a simply drag and drop system.

Thu May 28, 2015 11:24 am View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Shiny!

Thu May 28, 2015 12:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
FiendishOne
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Ooo, I like lots.

Thu May 28, 2015 2:27 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
There seems to be an image of some fella who looks like he's about to piss his pants!

Thu May 28, 2015 4:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I'm interested in the final fantasy 14 support, does that integrate with the fight club site in anyway?
Thu May 28, 2015 6:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Well looking at the available widgets you can set up a FFXIV page that shows the guild roster, raid planner, game news feed direct from the site itself, some sort of countdown to something called "Hamlet" and something else called "Levequest" (which probably makes more sense to you than me), display a characters Bazaar from FFXIVPro.com and so on. Not sure how useful any of that would be but it's there!

When you sign up to Guildwork you can link characters from the listed games to your account that helps with the functionality of some of these things I believe, but as I don't have a FFXIV character I can't test it atm

Thu May 28, 2015 6:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I added a few things to a FFXIV page that I can do without needing characters to link to etc, including the dev news feed, hamlet and levequest thingies, and even linked their twitter account into it. Have a look if you want, bear in mind I just dumped them on the page in no real order to see if they worked

Fri May 29, 2015 12:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
?Hmm interesting. I was hoping you'd be able to link the character to my forum account so that he updates automatically but I guess it doesn't really matter.
Fri May 29, 2015 6:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I think with the package we'd be on it updates every 12 hours or something? Not sure if that's just the roster or what though.

Fri May 29, 2015 9:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Looking very spiffy!!

Sat May 30, 2015 8:20 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Morbeth
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
So, this old forum certainly needs updating, but there's a lot of nostalgia buried in the 12 years of posts here. Could the new site have a link back to these old forums for archival purposes? Could do some DNS tricks, like calling this old side "archive.fightcluboutfit.co.uk" once the new one is ready.

That is if the person that's been paying for the site all this time wants to continue paying for it after the new one is up.

Sun May 31, 2015 3:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kraj
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
New forum being kept ticking over by spam bots

Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
*cough* Nothing to see here

Though one does wonder what you're doing dredging up a post around two and a half years old...

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kraj
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
It's amazing what you can find to do instead of spending time with the other half

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Question is do we really need this old forum now with the Discord Channel?

Seems like a waste of 10 quid a month to me. I am not asking for donations but do we really need the site anymore?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Forum/TS Issues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: