Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Music
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic View previous topic
View next topic
Music
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I have a fairly large music collection spanning the whole range of stuff from folk to metal, Chris de Burgh to Metallica. I tend to drift towards proper instruments, played by actual musicians who preferably wrote it themselves but as a child of the 80's there's a certain amount of fluff there too

About two years ago I was bemoaning the lack of proper rock music about these days, citing Muse as one of the few rock bands you'll hear on mainstream radio, when a friend pointed me at... country music! Yeah, I had a good laugh too, then he lent me Eric Church's Chief album. Seems a lot of the cheese has gone from modern country (there's still plenty left) and it is surprisingly good.

Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Tenz wrote:
I tend to drift towards proper instruments, played by actual musicians who preferably wrote it themselves

It's so refreshing to hear somebody say that in this day and age

Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Kryokill wrote:
Tenz wrote:
I tend to drift towards proper instruments, played by actual musicians who preferably wrote it themselves

It's so refreshing to hear somebody say that in this day and age

Belle & Sebastian ftw! *plug for the greatest Scottish band ever! :P

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:18 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RazeSmile

Post Reply with quote
Tenz wrote:

This is hard to find outside of metal, honestly. Everything seems to be mainstreamed to appeal to the largest possible audience. But, hey, that's just the metal elitist inside of me talking
Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:31 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
RazeSmile wrote:
Tenz wrote:

This is hard to find outside of metal, honestly. Everything seems to be mainstreamed to appeal to the largest possible audience. But, hey, that's just the metal elitist inside of me talking

There are plenty of talented bands/musicians out there playing and writing their own stuff, just that the world is saturated with generic shite, man made 5 minute wonders and Justin Bieber.

I have not got a fucking clue what is in the "Top 40"/charts here as I don't listen to the bog standard radio stations that spam the same old shit all day.

I don't think some bands aim for mainstream I just think there is a broader amount of exposure these days where slowly but surely the mindless drones discover there is more to life than One Direction!

As for metal isn't that just a lot of shouting and raw noise to actually cover up the fact that there are no lyrics and that nobody can actually play a note or sing?

Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
brune wrote:

As for metal isn't that just a lot of shouting and raw noise to actually cover up the fact that there are no lyrics and that nobody can actually play a note or sing?

You're spot on about the mainstream. I've been into metal since I was a little lad, and I was of the same impression as Raze. It's only been in the last 5 years or so my tastes have broadened massively after realising you only have to scratch the first layer of over-produced/managed corporate drones to find great underground alternatives in most genres.

You have to look at it this way. Major labels don't care how good your band is, how well you can sing, how tight you are live. They only look at 1 thing....how well can I market this, as a whole package, to make us as much money as possible. This is why most bands/artists on these big labels are shit. They aren't aimed at you, they are aimed at the lowest common denominator, and this is why production value and visuals (i.e Cyrus' tits) are chosen over actual talent. However, the underground thrives just as well, and it just as strong, albeit without the same level of promotion or marketing. You just have to find it yourself. For every Bieber, there are 100 Lizard Tongues. Except we have to spend 1000s on our own equipment, 100s just getting to venues, usually by dragging van's worth of gear onto public transport, or into a 5 seater taxi. All for a few beers, a 'well done' and 2 out of 5 times, a token 20 quid. But I love it more than anything in the world.

Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
RazeSmile

Post Reply with quote
brune wrote:

Lord no. Metal only gives you that impression because it's loud and aggressive, but there's more art and love for music in it than in any other genre I've heard. The whole "Metal is just a bunch of drug addicts screaming into their microphones" mindset is just as valid as "Grunge is a just bunch of emo pussies cutting their wrists onstage."

Also, isn't grunge a hybrid of heavy metal and punk?
Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
gramariss

Post Re: Music Reply with quote
RazeSmile wrote:
While I was "working" today and listening to some Iron Maiden, I started wondering what types of music you beautiful people listen to. Music plays an enormous part in my day to day life (there are few moments when I don't have music playing), and I feel like music has always helped me connect to other people. So, what is your music taste? What are your favourite bands/musicians? How often do you listen to music?

As for me, I listen to everything that's good. A̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶M̶E̶T̶A̶L̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶. Thrash metal would be my favourite subgenre, and my favourite band Megadeth. Other than that, I enjoy Heavy Metal, Power Metal, some Death and Black Metal, Alternative Metal/Rock and so on.

Any fellow Metalheads here?

Looking forward to your responses, and remember to stay fucking metal! \m/

Great majority of my menu is death metal and progressive rock, but also some black metal, stoner, doom, alt rock, jazz fusion etc. Some random picks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgPGkk4HNA&list=PLVI7H_UNgVt6T1FFj2-URjqfZSN3fO6Zp
Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
RazeSmile

Post Re: Music Reply with quote
gramariss wrote:
Great majority of my menu is death metal and progressive rock, but also some black metal, stoner, doom, alt rock, jazz fusion etc. Some random picks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DgPGkk4HNA&list=PLVI7H_UNgVt6T1FFj2-URjqfZSN3fO6Zp

Nice! Gorguts is amazing
Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: