Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Steam Controller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
Steam Controller
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Steam Controller Reply with quote
I am using now in the same way as I would use a mouse. My right thumb is moving across the right hand side pad and my right index finger is clicking the button like you would have on a normal controller. Works perfectly. To make precise dead on movements of the mouse you can use the tip of your thumb and it all just works naturally.

You get a small feedback when you move your thumb over the pad and this helps.

So far playing non-controller games with it has been excellent - Pillars of Eternity, Civilization. Not tried an FPS or Space Sim yet.

Will try Star Citizen next

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:13 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Was thinking of grabbing one but too many kickstarter board games for this month and next month is xmas

Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
I may get one aswell. Is it the usual 40 or is it wool over eyes type affair?

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I'd like one, but I watched a video of a guy saying the right trackpad was a bit awkward because there's no texturing, so you'll often aim off centre, are you finding that to be a problem? The older Steam Controller had contoured trackpads so you can feel where the centre is.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Just purchased one, can't wait to try.

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Pretty nice, pretty nice. Feels sexy to hold, not too big, I like how compact it is, love the feedback when using both trackpads which are very responsive by the way. Playing Fallout 4 with it feels good, but it's so unusual it takes some getting used to. Even using the control stick and the four XYBA buttons for other games feels great and comfy. The build of the gamepad is solid, no creaking when I twist it slightly and it's pretty light too.

Can't wait to mess around with motion controls for precise aiming, it's very easy to customise the controls thanks to the brilliant steam controller UI. Well worth the 40 if you like to mess around with new ideas and works really well for games which use keyboard and mouse, smart stuff Valve.

This was interesting, just shows what you can achieve with the Steam Controller.
http://steamed.kotaku.com/steam-controller-used-to-help-disabled-skyrim-player-1742237293

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:42 am View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Gyro motion controls used in MGS5 for aiming the camera and guns, pretty sweet!

https://youtu.be/B43ibnztDLc?t=1m21s

Some guy playing MGS5, which I think is a great game to demonstrate the Steam Controller because you're jumping between 3rd and 1st person view and moving the camera around, showing off how useful gyro controls are and it's very impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5XDo1APsPM

Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:20 am View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I hope you lot are right, I had wifey order me one for christamas

Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:34 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Using it to play Don't Starve Shipwrecked and it feels much, much better than keyboard and mouse. Was experimenting with Witcher 3 and it feels good, flicking the camera around with the right trackpad is strangely enjoyable. Been meaning to try Euro Truck Simulator 2, using the left trackpad for steering and the right trackpad for gradual acceleration and braking/reversing if that's possible. It got me thinking how well the controller might work in World of Tanks/Warplanes/Warships etc.

Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Just ordered mine after playing Just Cause 3. Need a controller for analog acceleration in vehicles and a mouse tor FPS. Figured this thing might give me both!

Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Ah yeah, need to try it out on Mad Max, seems like very similar controls to Just Cause 3 so it would work very well in those sorts of games.

The controller comes with 2 Duracell AA batteries, had mine for almost a month and those batteries are still going strong!

Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Using it to play through Dark Souls and it works really well, still using the 2 same batteries it came with, so yeah, plenty of battery life! Tenz and Buggerlugs, what do you guys think to it?

Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
i've not really used it much tbh. what I've seen so far it would make for an excellent "big screen" controller. the mouse feature is the best, it has to use acceleration because it would be annoying as fuck if it didn't. this will take some getting used to but k/b and mouse will always win hands down.

regarding the batteries, it came with 2 x AA DURACELL, not the usual shite free batteries you usually get, so i'm not surprised on the lifetime. The loose-feeling cover underneath is actually two extra buttons

if I ever go big screen (I never get chance, it's always booked) this will be an excellent controller. not good enough to for PS2.

Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, you can alter everything on the steam controller to make mouse controls work to your liking, you can enable/disable mouse acceleration on the trackpad, even change how much or little acceleration you want etc.

Below is a great video from Woodsie a few days ago listing 10 games on Steam that work very well on the Steam controller and helps you to get accustomed to all its lovely features.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWf-q0FxTBM

Woodsie has uploaded lots of videos for the Steam controller to help you set it all up and learn its functions, very handy.

Some great recent updates to the controller like letting you name your controller for when you have several steam controllers hooked up, you can now select from about 10 different short sounds/tunes which play when the controller switches on and switches off which is pretty neat if you want to use that. Then there's the Touch Menu function which lets you assign upto 16 hotkeys to a single button press which brings up a window on screen so you can switch between items on your hotbar immediately or bring up game menus, so MMORPG's became very viable on the controller. Also, there's a massive new feature called Mouse Region which works wonders. So for instance you can tap a part of the trackpad and the mouse pointer will immediately jump to that section of the screen, handy for UI heavy games or in ARPG games which has your character follow your mouse pointer, say Torchlight, you can enable mouse region on the analog stick then you can control your character with that analog stick, no more holding down left mouse button for hours on end, which is incredibly useful as it frees up more of the controller. Below shows a quick vid of this in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thg_iWTfMAc

An updated list of features of the steam controller right now, I'm amazed how much they've added to this controller since I got it 2 months ago. The non-steam support they are adding will help tons, add a game you've installed from a disk or Origin/Blizzard/GOG etc, launch it through Steam and it will find configurations uploaded by Steam users. Brilliant news!

http://store.steampowered.com/controller/update/dec15

Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
For JC3 and Mad Max I find the trackball setting with gyro aiming works really well.

For looking you swipe or flick across the thumb pad then for precise aiming you hold the pad and the gyro kicks in so you aim by tillting the controller. Takes a bit of preactice though.

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: