Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Elite: Dangerous Release Date
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite View previous topic
View next topic
Elite: Dangerous Release Date
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
is this game now live ?

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:59 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Yes, on the 16th of December, 2014! dude

Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:12 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/16/7402069/elite-dangerous-launch-campaign-single-player-story

Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
There's actually a story? To think of the hours I spent on Frontier...

Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Some initial thoughts;

- Game is a time hoover. It just sucks up hours. Look at the clock it's 5.30, do a couple of trading runs FUCK ME IT'S 11.30!!
- It's a proper Elite game. It feels right. It sucks you in.
- No hand holding going on. I spent my first 3 hours managing to turn 1000 credits into 174 credits
- Some serious time sinks. Getting to the first station in my starter sector is over 11 minutes in supercruise. What fucking idiot decided that sitting there watching the screen and doing fuck all else for eleven minutes was a good idea?
- Pick up quests... wtf? Just randomly cruise around and wait until a random object pops, scan it, not the right one, repeat for half an hour till the right item pops. WTF? I guess it was the same idiot responsible for the 11 minute joyless ride that came up with that one
- I mourn all the other shit Iwas going to do with my free time over the next couple of months.

Harmless, Peniless, Aimless - it's a long way up from here

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Tenz wrote:

- Some serious time sinks. Getting to the first station in my starter sector is over 11 minutes in supercruise. What fucking idiot decided that sitting there watching the screen and doing fuck all else for eleven minutes was a good idea?
- Pick up quests... wtf? Just randomly cruise around and wait until a random object pops, scan it, not the right one, repeat for half an hour till the right item pops. WTF? I guess it was the same idiot responsible for the 11 minute joyless ride that came up with that one

So Freedom paid 200 so he could let this sort of pointless gameplay through to the release version? cnut! :P

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
To be fair, that 11min run is the only one I have found even remotely that long, most runs are just a minute or two. It didn't help that it was my starter zone though as it turned a simple go-fetch mission into a bit of an adventure.

If you liked the original or Frontier, you'll like this. Probably

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
This looks legitimately interesting, but I've never played an Elite game before. Will it fill me with warm fuzzy feelings? Will I need a beefy PC to run it? and Is a Joystick a must?

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
40 is a lot to spend when you don't know if it is your type of game. I'd try and find a cheap copy of one of the X games and see if you like that first.

It can be played with a keyboard and mouse... but it sucks. Apparently it's reasonable with a gamepad but a joystick is good. Doesn't have to be an expensive one.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tiger313
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Tried keyboard/mouse, sucks donkey balls. Waiting for joystick delivery, which might take a while still cause the one I wanted is out of stock atm. As for system requirements: my system is over three years old and it runs fine. (AMD Phenom II X4 840 "Propus"/AMD Radeon 6770HD/12GB RAM).

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
RPS review. Seems preety accurate from what I have experienced so far (which isn't much):

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/15/elite-dangerous-review/

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
And just as I was getting into the game and making some progress a Station suddenly decides I'm a criminal for no reason and kills me on the launch pad. Yeah, they let in, let me sell my cargo, let me buy a full load of new cargo THEN decided I had done something so bad it derserved an instant death warrant.

Ship gone, cargo gone. New ship purchased with insurance, cash balance set ot exactly 1,000cr. WTF?

Fuck this shit. Avoid it till they finish it UT

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Yeah read a review on RPS that said it was released far too early.......

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/01/15/elite-dangerous-review/

Quote:
For example, the holiday period included, for many, a server-side malfunction that left folks either losing hundreds of tonnes of cargo or being given billions of credits compensation by mistake. Not only is this straight-up bad in terms of enjoying your time in space, it also has ridiculous economic implications. Some of the luckier beneficiaries of these errors have been buying Palladium an expensive metal and flushing the cargo into space for their fellow players, effectively flooding the galaxy with freshly-printed creds, like a chaotic millionaire sprinkling banknotes from his skyscraper apartment.

I was playing with a friend in a different part of space when this same server maelstrom passed over the galaxy. And at the risk of sounding like an Upworthy headline, what happened next was lunacy. My pal parked his transport ship, full of cargo, and bought a smaller Viper as an extra to try out. In the meantime, the game pulled a wobbler and when he sought to retrieve his cargo ship he discovered that, not only had the ship been mysteriously warped to a system 15 light years away, but the station it was being held in did not even have a shipyard. Without this option in the starport menu, his ship was impossible to get back. The game had essentially towed him. At time of writing, he is still waiting for his ticket to technical support to be sorted out.

A game killer

Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:54 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Tenz wrote:
40 is a lot to spend when you don't know if it is your type of game. I'd try and find a cheap copy of one of the X games and see if you like that first.

It can be played with a keyboard and mouse... but it sucks. Apparently it's reasonable with a gamepad but a joystick is good. Doesn't have to be an expensive one.

I enjoyed EVE for the year or so I played it, and I'm a big fan of space explorationy type themes. I was holding off until No Man's Sky, but everything I read about this sounds pretty cool.

Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Started this morning with an Adder (transit van equivalent) and only 1,000 cash left from the other day's mishap. Sold the guns for cash to buy commodities, made some delivery runs and bought the guns back, made some more runs and bought bigger guns, went bounty hunting for a bit then found some stupidly expensive minerals just floating in space. Quick trip to the nearest black market outpost and I'm flush again!

By 3pm I'm in a shiny new Cobra... can't afford the insurance though so the next few runs are going to have a fairly high pucker factor but I'm back loving the game once more.

However, I am also running Nvida's shadowplay thing so if it fucks me again I'll have video evidence

Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: