Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
So I bought Elite Dangerous...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite View previous topic
View next topic
So I bought Elite Dangerous...
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post So I bought Elite Dangerous... Reply with quote
And here is the thing, I don't think I'm into games that require that sort of controlling anymore. I don't know why but the thought of using a joystick to play this game, spinning around and trying to align your curser with accuracy is just something I've completely grown out of.

At first I thought I was just burnt out on Planetside 2 but honestly I've been playing FF14 now for 6 months and every single gaming session I've had massive fun with. I litteraly have never been happier with my gaming habits as I have been with FF14. The sad thing is I really fancied playing a cool space game. I installed EvE Online again on friday and have spent the last couple of days setting that up, already I'm having fun in it and I'm sure its because it doesn't require me to aim at anything.

Maybe I'm just burnt out, I don't know but I can't see myself playing this game, so I thought I would share the account so you guys can have a look and see how its getting on. Any one interested?
Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
so the combat is similar to elite 2 then ? but without autopilot ?

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
It's nothing like Elite 2, and much more like a cross between AI War and Wing Commander. Yaw is nerfed, the best way to turn is by rolling and pitching. Combat generally happens at ranges around 0-3km and some of the bigger ships are perfectly visible even at the far end of the range. No mad flashing past each other at stupid speeds here.
Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Re: So I bought Elite Dangerous... Reply with quote
Kirbs wrote:
And here is the thing, I don't think I'm into games that require that sort of controlling anymore. I don't know why but the thought of using a joystick to play this game, spinning around and trying to align your curser with accuracy is just something I've completely grown out of.

At first I thought I was just burnt out on Planetside 2 but honestly I've been playing FF14 now for 6 months and every single gaming session I've had massive fun with. I litteraly have never been happier with my gaming habits as I have been with FF14. The sad thing is I really fancied playing a cool space game. I installed EvE Online again on friday and have spent the last couple of days setting that up, already I'm having fun in it and I'm sure its because it doesn't require me to aim at anything.

Maybe I'm just burnt out, I don't know but I can't see myself playing this game, so I thought I would share the account so you guys can have a look and see how its getting on. Any one interested?

Kirbs...you have been spoilt by Eve! But I always craved the actual piloting and hated the point and click none flying in Eve.

Try Elite out a bit more for your own sake. Otherwise you will similarly not be interested in Star Citizen and that would be a shame.

Actually flying your ship once you get used to it in Elite and SC is pretty easy. It does a little time though. And if I think back to early alpha back in December I was also a bit meh about Elite. But....there is nothing better than actually flying, aiming and having a real dog flight in a space sim I think.

Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I bought this game when it dropped to 30 and i'm struggling to get into it tbh, the keys and joystick buttons are a nightmare, you have to go into your keymap just to see what the buttons are. i'll keep trying but not managed more than 30 minute sessions so far. I suppose i'll learn it before next year.

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I got a cheap HOTAS to play the game with which made a lot more sense once I got used to having buttons on two different hands, and the extra movement you can do without leaving the joystick/throttle because of the extra axes just makes things so much simpler. You can even set it so once docking is engaged and you're by the pad your hat controls thrusters.

That combined with VoiceAttack so I could do more stuff simply by saying it helped me a lot. You can get the basic VA software for free so it's worth trying out.
Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:22 am View user's profile Send private message
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I bought my Dad a hotas x-55 rhino for fathers day and tried this put on it. It was a totally different experience, completely natural and taking of and landing was a breeze. Not about to buy one myself though as its a bit pricey.
Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I got the T-Flight HOTAS X, you can pick it up for around 35 and as you say it makes a huge difference!
Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
You guys have seen the whole landing on planets and racing around in buggies thing right?

Made me get suddenly interested in Elite again. I am struggling to find much depth in the game coming from Eve but it is slowly coming together. The planetary stuff looks very very good.

Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:45 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
well, I've got into it a bit now, can get around, fail missions etc.
I did get attacked twice by human players, the first one got his arse handed back to him and the second got his arse handed back to him via a kicking from me and then a kill steal from the feds that showed up at the end of this 10 minute dog fight
I've got to thank freespace 2 for the mad space flying skillz

Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
All hail FS2!

I've never actually played in Open mode, maybe I'll try it next time I play.
Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I had a good session tonight. I am liking the depth of play that Power Play has given to the game. Also the promise of landing on planets makes me much more interested in playing.

What are people's names:

Me = Indi Vestor
Neonin = Ryan "Neonin" Winter
Bugger = Lardmania
Ford = ?
Kirbs =

Anyone else playing?

Last edited by FreedomShot on Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Lardmania
I actually fell asleep last night playing this those long travel times can have an effect late on

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
If my name changes randomly it's because as I'm not playing right now I've given my dad the account details so he can give it a try, though I don't think he's had a go yet.

Luggs, I usually got around the tiredness by setting up voice commands to switch between various radio stations, text-to-speech NASA RSS feed, and even the latest Sky News broadcast while I was warping
Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
BuggerLugs wrote:
Lardmania
I actually fell asleep last night playing this those long travel times can have an effect late on

Eve would have you in coma then Lugs, at least there is some flying to do in this space game

Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:28 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: