Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Wndows 10
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
Wndows 10
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Wndows 10 Reply with quote
Get it.

Install it.

So much better.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Yaroze

Post Reply with quote
better than what?

and in what way?

Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Daf
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Hmmmm, scan uk said win 8 was good, so i got it, then uninstalled it as it was shyte!

We need proof 10 is good!!!

Follow me on SoundCloud here https://soundcloud.com/x-daf-x
Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Fooicus
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Well at least it has a start menu :D

Quote:
"The only thing you can do with a rowntree's fruit pastille is chew."

I resent that comment, I can think of many other things to do with a fruit pastille
Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Windows 10 is good because its now back to being the same as windows 7.
Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:11 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
As with 8, not needed at all.......

Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:26 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NimRast
BR (Barrel Rank) 2
BR (Barrel Rank) 2

Post Reply with quote
I've been reading about windows 10 and I have high hopes that it won't suck. Start menu + better keyboard and mouse functionality.

Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I have 10 installed on my tablet and desktop and find it great. Basically you boot into your desktop and when you press the start button you get the old one back plus to the side of the programme list you get the modern metro live tiles.

All programmes both traditional and "universal" open in own windows not full screen like W8.

The real positive is that these "universal" apps will work on desktops, hybrids, tablets and .... phones.

Rumour has it that it is free as long as you are upgrading from W8.

There is not a lot of difference between 10 and 8 at present but this is just an alpha. It is more like a cross between 7 and 8 but is a step in the right direction and shows M$ are listening. I really like the fact that they have reached or have nearly reached the holy grail of having apps working on all devices, that is a real achievement. Hopefully W10 will stop the drain of users to apple.

You can install it here : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/preview-download?OCID=Welcome_r_IPP_Body_Install_8

Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:37 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Morbeth
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Keep in mind that the Developer Preview of Win 10 sends a lot of data back to Microsoft (which is in the user agreement for it IIRC).

So don't install it on any system you do things on that you don't want someone else to know about. So don't install it on the computer you do online banking with at a minimum.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:35 am View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
I think i'll wait for Windows 9 instead

Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
So there was a very big patch a month or so back and I think most of the hard development in Windows 10 is done, minus the integration of the mind blowing holoviewer.

The old Win 8 tablet screen branches out of a traditional Win 7 start menu and you can increase its size if you like the metro style but at no point do you leave the desktop. There is no duality that Win 8 had. So you now can have access to all your apps via the start button and remain on the desktop. Perfect. This is what win 8 should have been like. MS just panicked thinking computing had moved onto tablets when actually most people were still using PCs with a keyboard and mouse. That is what Win 10 does really - re focuses on the mouse and keyboard whilst at the same time it has become scalable so it can run just the apps part on phones and small tablets. Medium tablets can have access to the whole windows environment but with a touch orientated UI. The full fat Win 10 on a desktop has apps open in windows that can be resized and moved on screen just like programmes. There is no more full screen apps unless you chose them to go full screen.

The new thing is the notification part. Anything major going on in the system is recorded and broadcast to you there. The Win 8 system options have all changed their look but are basically the same but more options. The old command panel is still there. In fact most if not all the Win 7 stuff is still there on things like syste, disk monitor etc.

Another one is the multiple desktops which I have not used so far.

The best thing is it is free. If you own Win 7 or 8 and get it within the first year of release. I recon Windows 11 will be pay per month like office 360.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
First impressions:
  • Crashed after setting up, it froze at the "welcome back!" screen after install and kept rebooting and crashing there. Eventually found something online that suggested taking my wireless dongle out, that fixed it.
  • Turned off all the stuff that reports browsing history, app usage, and all the other bollocks to Microsoft. Fuck your targeted advertising. See this article for more.
  • Ads in Solitaire, booooo.
  • Couldn't get wifi to work properly, kept freezing up and causing the system to hang when resetting. Removed all drivers, let it install again. Stopped hanging but couldn't see 5Ghz network. Finally discover someone else online who had a similar problem and suggested picking "Browse my computer for driver" then "Let me pick from a list" which allowed me to switch between two drivers, Media-Tek (in use) and Ralink. Ralink one fixed it. NOT obvious at all and the auto-driver search and update thing failed to even come close to fixing the problem.
  • I like right-clicking on the star button to get at stuff like Device Manager, Command Prompt, and other useful stuff.
  • No idea on Cortana, she's off. If I want voice commands I'll use VoiceAttack which doesn't send absolutely everything I say and do back to Microsoft.
  • Can't change default search engine in Edge without first adding the homepage of whatever engine you want to use as a Favourite, then going into the Advanced Settings and it'll finally appear as an option.
  • Fuck me Edge is fast... no AdBlock though.

More as I come across it. Haven't tried any games yet...
Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Spotted a little something, Windows Update (apart from being unable to manually install updates if you have less than 10 Pro) is by default set to download from local PCs on your network AND PCs on the internet, sort-of bittorrenting the updates I guess. If you don't set this to local PCs only you end up being a seeder for updates... Yeah I turned that off.

Start menu looks ok once I turned off all those annoying animated tiles and basically got rid of everything except the programs I want quick links to (Notepad and Calculator usually lol) but I suppose it might be handy if you like to see brief news stuff or stock reports in there. Not me.

Candy Crush is installed by default... yeah I uninstalled that fast.
Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Fooicus
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Neonin wrote:
First impressions:
[list]
[*]Ads in Solitaire, booooo.

On the basis of this, I'm out

Quote:
"The only thing you can do with a rowntree's fruit pastille is chew."

I resent that comment, I can think of many other things to do with a fruit pastille
Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:23 am View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Can I upgrade from Win 7 and have all my Steam games work without any bollocksing about with it?

This is the only thing that matters!

Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:06 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: