Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[Elite: Dangerous] Beta 2 Thoughts

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite View previous topic
View next topic
[Elite: Dangerous] Beta 2 Thoughts
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post [Elite: Dangerous] Beta 2 Thoughts Reply with quote
Rather than derail the commander names thread...

Beta 2 was buggy as fuck, but they've put out three patches in two days and I've had no problem so far with 2.03.

The new equipment system is confusing as fuckballs, with very little to no explanation of just what is better about one piece of equipment over another. There also seems to be power issues but I couldn't see anywhere that listed my total power output and current power draw, I may just be missing something there though.

As an example, a basic Grade H Kill Warrant Scanner will set you back around 14k. A Grade B I think it was is around 1 mil, but apart from the listed grade improvement and the fact the bigger one has more power draw there's bugger all to say what the differences are. I think they're planning on adding that stuff later though.

I don't like the new ship UI, specifically the weird smoky thing in the background of it. I find it blurry at times although I am slowly getting used to it.

The new station UI is nice though, still could do with some work (especially Outfitting) but it's better than it was in Beta 1.06.

Current consensus seems to be don't bother trading, either they nerfed it to buggery on purpose or theres a big bug they haven't acknowledged cause the trade routes on the galaxy map are mostly wrong, places don't have the stock they used to have etc etc.

On the plus side rewards for killing Wanted people and doing bounty missions are a lot better than before.

Seems to be some sort of lighting bug they haven't fixed yet as far as I know which is drastically changing how things are lit compared to 1.06, station interiors in particular are massively bright now.

Exploration is odd, with some systems which should be fully explored as they're settled having "unknown" stellar bodies that turn out to be, for example, a planet that already has a station orbiting it... Guessing they did this on purpose though so people didn't have to travel far to test the mechanics out.
Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:40 am View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Only got 5 mins to try it and yes wow - felt like I was really flying. Much better than any other space sim I can think of.

Will try it more when I get a chance.

Best money spent to get into the beta BTW. If you are into space sims then this really is the one for now. SC has a wider scope but Elite nails space flight down to a "T".

This not something hardcore space sim gamers like Brune and Ford and Buggerlugs should be missing out on.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I still don't know wtf is going on with Star Citizen. I paid 30 for something. I don't know what, so far all I have seen is a buggy hanger. I tried to download arena commander a couple of months ago but apparently I had to pay more money. Why? No fucking idea why. I thought I was helping build a game but apparently I didn't pay enough money for that "privaledge".

I'm interested in what Elite has to offer, when is the game due out? I thought it was supposed to December last time I read an article. If thats so surely thats a massive edge over Star Citizen isn't it?
Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
If you only got the basic package of SC then to access Arena Commander you need the extra Pass (it's about $5 I think) to get in, basically because a bunch of the ships aren't available in the simulator yet and it gives you access to the Hornet if your pledge ship isn't in. Something like that anyway.

ED is due out by the end of the year and they're still aiming for that from all recent reports. There's a lot more "game" available right now than SC has, but they're at two different stages of development so SC can't really be blamed for that. I figure I'll play ED now and worry about SC when it's closer to release! Why pick a side when you can have both? :D
Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Just did an amazingly easy run for about 10k credits just going to one system delivering a lot of the same messages.

Got 18k in the bank now.

I added you now as a friend Ryan Neonin. Really liking this now

Beta 3 will have mining and that is what I will be interested in doing the most I think. Well I plan to have a good mining ship to fund getting a better attack ship in which to bounty hunt with. I will probably stick to NPCs for a while. Perhaps we can join up doing some mining.

This is like "real" Eve. What I mean is that Eve with real flying in it a real combat. Much more exciting.

Loving it. Just wish I had more time....

Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:42 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Haha yeah, it'll be interesting to see how mining works out. I haven't been playing a huge amount recently because I don't want to get fed up while they're still testing the different systems out for balancing. I'd imagine income from bounty hunting and BB missions will get the nerf bat in Beta 3 in favour of mining so they can see how people progress that way, same as trading got the bat in Beta 2 in favour of BB missions and bounties.
Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
gunna wait until its live and then check it out. im not interested in an unfinished product

Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Probably a good idea Luggs, the Betas all seem to be aimed at a specific area of the game so don't give a great example of the finished product. It's still due out by the end of the year.
Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
Yaroze

Post Reply with quote
I got my hands on this yesterday

And I fucking love it, I used to play the original Elite on Amiga back in the good old days.

Wow, just wow. Started last night and had to force myself to stop playing so I could get some sleep.

Its visually stunning, and compared to Star Citizen it doesnt have to live up to a hype and it will be finished someday. Watched and read a lot about these 2 games the past weeks before deciding which one I wanted and ED seems to be the better game so far. And yes I am well aware of the fact that its still early access and all that jazz but still.

I would recommend this game to my friends is what I am saying and that is a really good grade.

-Yar

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:02 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
pff the BBC B was the home of Elite! :D

Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: