Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
[Elite: Dangerous] Goes in-depth on trading
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite View previous topic
View next topic
[Elite: Dangerous] Goes in-depth on trading
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post [Elite: Dangerous] Goes in-depth on trading Reply with quote

From Massively:

Elite: Dangerous' 20th newsletter is out, and the team has dedicated the lion's share of its space to talking about the upcoming space sim's trading game.

The developers explain how Elite's thousands of systems will help to create a huge economy once the MMO goes live: "Each star system has a different basic type of economy –- for example agricultural, industrial, hi-tech, extraction, refining or service, and some have a mix of these basics –- such as extraction and refining are often (but not always) in the same system. From a commodities perspective all but a service economy produce items for consumption. This creates an active trade network."

The newsletter also gives a sneak peek at planetary rings, informs fans that today is the last day to buy into alpha access, and says that the game will update its galaxy configuration based on any major discoveries that may occur in our world. Give the newsletter a read and check out a video of the trading system after the break!

YouTube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbvEay_YJy0

http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/04/25/elite-dangerous-goes-in-depth-on-trading

Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
NimRast
BR (Barrel Rank) 2
BR (Barrel Rank) 2

Post Reply with quote
So many awesome looking space games are going to come out at the same time that I'm probably going to get fed up with the theme too fast. That's what happened to me with the zombies genre, remember back when there were almost no zombie games out there?

As awesome as this game looks like, I don't think it will overpower Star Citizen, we'll see. At least it will bring some decent competition to the scene, which is good for everyone.
Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I think you're spot on there.

Elite is not aiming so high as Star Citizen.

I look forward to both though.

Thu May 01, 2014 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
It really blows my mind how the London Bus syndrome is so prevalent in gaming. If I was a paranoid man I would say there is someone at the top dishing out the same idea to all the companies at the same time.

Hmmmm
Fri May 02, 2014 9:35 am View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
FUCK ME.

Seriously.

Alpha 4.01 was released this weekend. I have just come off it now.

FUCK ME.

They nailed the whole space flight thing on the head. OMG I need some tea.

So in this alpha build you can travel, trade, etc. The way they have done it is just so spot on I could cry as it takes me right back to the moment I first watched Star Wars and the Millennium Falcon makes the jump to light speed. There is no jumpgate shit like in Eve, it is one massive fuck off universe that you jump to light speed to.

Why is that so amazing? Well immersion. In eve and every other space game it has always been the equivilant of a loading screen going between sectors. In Elite there is no sectors there is just the vastness of space. You have 3 drives: impulse engines, inter planetary drives and then your Hyperdrive.

There are no loading screens, the stars go white stripes like in Star Wars, you can not just jump near other ships so you have to fly away first then engage.

It is just space as space should be.

This now gives Star Citizen a VERY high yard stick to reach. My money was on SC but after this morning all I can think is FUCKING HELL !!!

In Dave Braben we trust http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Braben

Ford - Get it NOW!!!!

Watch :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSOUvP35b-s

Sun May 18, 2014 3:37 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I didn't realize how immerse it looked until i watched this video in full screen. I like how the GUI is built into the ship dashboard with nothing floating about, it really makes your monitor look like a window viewpoint into a real spaceship. Excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvVbyUAwkmk
Sun May 18, 2014 6:19 am View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I do love that solid-sounding noise when you come out of hyperspace, very neatly done.
Sun May 18, 2014 10:02 am View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
lol I finally managed to fully dock. Took like 45 mins. I think I was able to do that when I was 9 years old on the original version.

Love it.

Got to play it more. I just bought 4 animal monitor trade items from a high tech system so now I am seeking out an agricultural planet to sell them in.

It is like playing Eve for real.

They are adding getting out your ship later on down the line but I already saw the option for it when I finally docked.

Docking BTW is a case of approaching the spinning station. Requesting a docking request. Then you have to manually fly your ship through a narrow entrance allowing for the Coriolis effect and go inside the massive station. Once inside the station you have to carefully fly to your assigned dock and allow again for the Coriolis effect and land vertically down to your dock. It is hard. Very. It feels good to manage it though.

I managed it with a 400 credit bounty on my head as I ran out of time and therefore became illegal

Great piece of work so far. I am excited to actually explore. It feels like I am exploring.

I am tempted to play Eve due to Project Legion but once you have played this Eve would seems so automatic.

I am going to have to email Ford as this is just his thing.

Sun May 18, 2014 10:15 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
NimRast
BR (Barrel Rank) 2
BR (Barrel Rank) 2

Post Reply with quote
I can't wait to travel from space station to space station in my old, but trustworthy, spaceship listening to this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0JB4wxtSJk

Can't wait until they release the Walking in Stations and planets expansion!

Sun May 18, 2014 11:15 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
FreedomShot wrote:

He is always on steam

Sun May 18, 2014 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
brune wrote:
FreedomShot wrote:

He is always on steam

True

Sun May 18, 2014 1:48 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
When its on general release if I have the cash I probably pick it up. Still is this a SP or MP or MMO? I am confused.

Mon May 19, 2014 8:02 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Pretty sure it's single player Ford...*waits for Freedom to put me straight!

Mon May 19, 2014 2:37 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
if that's SP i'll probably get it. no "real people" to spoil things
I'll get it on release though.

Mon May 19, 2014 6:01 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Looking at this I guess it may be a mp experience.

Quote:
Trade: Buy low, cross dangerous space lanes, evade or destroy pirates en route, then sell high, if you make the journey!

Fight: Take on the pirates or be one yourself.

Progress: Get your pilot rating all the way from "Harmless" to "Elite".

Explore: Head out to the far reaches of space and discover amazing sights.

Multiplayer: And the best part - you can do all this online with your friends, or other "Elite" pilots like yourself, or even alone. The choice is yours…

"or even alone" SP or billy no mates?

Mon May 19, 2014 6:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Star Citizen / Elite All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: