BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
1. get gold ammo
2. go to cash for gold
3. .........
4. profit

Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:00 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
If you buy a game in early access/alpha/beta, you are PAYING them to do their own job for them. I was a software tester for about 10 years, it's a real job, and it's a fucking SHIT job, believe me. IF they want input from me on if their games work or not, they can pay me. For me to have to pay for that, I find it a little offensive. I'll wait for releases. Just my own feelings on it, that's all

Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:51 am View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
That's why I don't like Early Access; you pay to be a tester. I tend to see these things as three separate models; Beta access, Early Access and Kickstarter, although the Beta/EA line has become a bit blurred I guess.

A proper Beta like Warframe, Mechwarrior or WoT allows you to try the game in a functional state knowing more updates will be coming but the basic game is pretty much complete. This is ideal for F2P games that want you to spend some cash and it help fund the further development. The product is unfinished but you don't have to pay for it.

Early Access is a shocker of a deal for the consumer, Games like The Fifth Day that Steam keep recommending to me is just a blatant money grab. No updates since October apparently and a lot of unhappy reviewers. Spend your money with no guarantee the dev won't just up and abandon it. There are some good games in there, and I have succumbed a couple of times, but there is a lot of dross too. You are paying for an unfinished game.

Kickstarter is a straight up gamble. You pay up front and hopefully you get a decent game at the end of it. It is an investment and is a risk but you at least have a pretty good idea of what you are investing in beforehand. You are paying for a finished product, however good or bad it may be.

Beta is good because I can play the damn game with no risk. Kickstarter is mostly ok, with notable exceptions, because these games wouldn't get made otherwise. EA is paid-alpha and it has allowed the sale of an unfinished product to become a valid marketing strategy. I cannot see that being good for the gaming industry in the long term

Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
If you Kickstart a game you are pretty much guaranteed that it will eventually appear on Steam as an early access title as part of it's evolving process. The only difference is that you usually get a bargain price via KS with the EA cost normally being a few sheckles more.

Now some of the straight to EA titles are complete cash in rip-offs and you see more and more that do not get completed properly.... Valve are the root of this fault, no fucking QC, just happy to take their percentage.

With the majority of Kickstarter that appear on EA titles you tend to see a bit more quality, a decent dev team and actual feedback to the player base.

A lot of EA titles are pretty cool and deserve the chance it's just the large percentage of crud that scares people and hides the gems.

A bit of forum and web digging is always recommended before diving in!

Bottom line is that gamers vote with their wallets. eg. Kryo is prime naysayer and non backer, Tenz loves to back the odd mmo/online f2p and myself I'll take a punt on what floats my boat and shows promise, generally influenced on how the devs are promoting/supporting their game and what the word on the google street is!

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I kickstart and buy early access games as I find the development process of the game very interesting.

For instance Star Citizen. I follow this closely and watch all the development shows and the magazine they put out. It is a fascinating glimpse into how a huge game is made. All the hours of work on prototypes and concept art is amazing to know. Then it shows the testing.

I like to know I am funding something I will really enjoy later on and think that the developers deserve the money for at least giving these massive ideas that companies like EA or Sony would not touch as they run by suits not PC gamers.

KS puts the PC gamer into the control seat to make games they know other PC gamers will like. Star Citizen for example is pretty much the ideal game for anyone like likes sci-fi and who played Elite in the 80s. To be able to walk around your ship, land on planets, shoot shit on planets, trade, do missions, dog fight, customise your ships, etc it is a dream come true so following how it is being made is also really interesting.

SUre some games have failed. Elite I think was developed too quick is too bareboned but it is still being added to. I don't feel I wasted my money though.

Currently I have given some money to Shards Online as I think this is an excellent idea that most games companies would not touch.

The one major disappointment that I wish I had never funded is The Repopulation. It is absolutely terrible in terms of UI, graphics and the way it plays. It is really bad and uses the Hero Engine... that was a waste of money. Also Shroud of the Avatar....FFS what an unoriginal game that is. Sorry Lord British but you should have given up after Ultima.

Anyway Tenz in right it is a bit of a lottery but I do love watching games like Star Citizen being made.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
I should added *and Freedom buys everything!* to my post

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
I wouldn't exclusively paint myself as a naysayer/non-backer. I really do love games and gaming, and have respect for anyone doing it for the love of other people's enjoyment. Problem is, nowadays it's too easy to rip people off, and too many people chose to do that over creating a good experience.

It really is circumstantial for me, but if I do back a game, it all has to be about the intentions of the developer, and the method I can use to back it. I actually do like the Kickstarter method of chipping in before it is made and giving the guys a chance to get it done, but I would just rather wait until it is finished and launched to play it, rather than getting into early access to see it broken. That's all.

Giving good developers the means to finish good games is one thing, but putting up with bullshit from blatant money grabbers is another. I don't mean to come across as negative with my opinions in the slightest, but I don't have much money and can't afford to buy any game I see, so I refuse to be taken for a ride when I do pick one. Seems to happen a lot more often than not these days.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Kryokill wrote:
I don't mean to come across as negative with my opinions in the slightest, but I don't have much money and can't afford to buy any game I see, so I refuse to be taken for a ride when I do pick one. Seems to happen a lot more often than not these days.

It isn't negative mate, it is a pretty healthy dose of realism

Take Starforge. Remember when we were all getting excited over that? I caved and bought it cheap in a sale at some point. Didn't even realise it has properly launched until last night. Head over to Steam and read what the reviewers think of what was promised vs what was delivered.

Or Starbound; good reviews but very little development and now 2 years late for launch and with no launch date on the horizon and yet the devs are working on another game... fishy much?

Not that the mainstream publisher funded games are handling things much better. I hear Dying Light lost a shit ton (imperial, not metric) of pre-orders because they didn't send out review code until 12 hours before the launch. Seems a whole bunch of savvy gamers went and cancelled and sent the company a gigantic FUCK YOU!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
I did warn you not to touch Starforge with a barge pole :P !

Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:35 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
brune wrote:
I did warn you not to touch Starforge with a barge pole :P !

Yeah, the day after I'd bought it!

Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
To be honest I've been quite lucky with the EAcc titles I've bought, but then I'm quite picky. Starbound, while having issues and very slow development recently, still lasted me over 100 hours in its current state. I've spent over 120 hours playing Planet Explorers, admittedly more with the vehicle creator than the actual game. Got 80 hours in Gnomoria so far and I'll definitely be going back to that one. Elite Dangerous is a bit barebones for sure, but I still had fun playing it when I first got in and that's another I'll be revisiting. TerraTech was my only real letdown so far but it could still become good a bit further on.

The big stand-out for me though has been Space Engineers. Closing on 300 hours, I've played this more than any other game in my adult life I think (it even surpassed XCOM) and I'm still enjoying it. The big thing with this one is that they've released updates every week without fail since I bought into it even if it was mostly bug fixes with a couple of new improvements, which has kept me checking back on it. They've done so well they started developing the Medieval version with a new team and are cross-porting some of the improvements from one game to another. Very pleased with KSH, I think they've been playing this EAcc game right.

Oh and very recently 7 Days to Die has me hooked...

I guess it's more about picking and choosing what you buy into as brune said, with a bit of knowledge and some Lets Play videos to see if you're going to be into it.
Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
back on subject

Good crafting recipe list here:

http://www.h1z1craft.com/Weapons.php

Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:36 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
We got a mention!

http://kotaku.com/h1z1-players-have-created-an-actual-fight-club-1683580933

Not really.

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I though this was quite funny. Beware the Red Dragon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AZ89m5yVTQ

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Ok so are there any servers that people go on a lot?

I can access EU ones ok without too much ping.

Also what ruleset do people suggest? I have nothing against 3rd person. It is nice to see your guy and I had enough 1st person from Mortal Online!

Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: