The Alpha Thread

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games View previous topic
View next topic
The Alpha Thread
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post The Alpha Thread Reply with quote
I just had a thought. There are a few of us buying early access to games that have not been released yet. There a few of us (only Brune and me had admitted to this) that are buying their way into Alpha testing. NDA can be ignored as I can not find any of the Steam listed ones even having one. Elite certainly doesn't and you can not get a bigger title than that.

So I am playing:

Elite Dangerous
Star Citizen
Gloria Victis
Life is Feudal
Nether
Shroud of the Avatar
The Repopulation
Kingdom Come Deliverance

I will post here updates to how these games are coming along. It think the first 4 of these and maybe The Repop are going to be really well done games. Elite and Star Citizen are Oculus Rift ready so that adds something extra.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Alpha - Elite Dangerous

This is now in Alpha build 3.2 and is shaping up to be the daddy of all space sims as it one was. So Alpha 1 was about single player and it puts the player in the cockpit of a Sidewinder. The fly mechanics are excellent and you really feel pulled when you gee up to the right or left and try to nose dive behind the other player (NPC in this case). It is immersive in that you can only see from the perspective of your cockpit. You press the middle mouse button though and you can move your head to turn round and you can access your console and comm.

Alpha 2 brought in multiplayer but did not work for me.

Alpha 3 really moved things along. Multi player now works And there is nothing better than battling it out with players of different sides either against NPC foes or pure PvP. And THEN the space station from the original Elite appears in all its modern glory. It spins. You must also spin to get inside and then once inside (if you can do that) is the landing pad. Wonderful. I am literally ducking down and around in my chair if I think I will hit the top or sides

It was very impressed when going through the docking hatch and into the main station that I did not notice the red flashing lights and gun emplacements inside all pointed at me. I has forgotten to request permission. I got a massage saying I was trespassing then I was shot at, I tried to run but some CUN* was blocking me getting out. Bang ,Bang, Dead.

So the best bit is the group play. All that can be done now. It is OR ready. I have not quite worked it out yet but when I do I am sure it will immense.

This is a sure bet of being a really solid space sim. It will eventually have walking in stations. It will eventually have planetside stuff. Ship boarding, etc but when it releases it will be good and solid. The development pace is amazing. Alpha 1 was December, 2 was Jan and 3 is March. There are only a few more elements to add like trading and societies till it is ready.

Compared to Star Citizen this looks like the inferior younger (well actually a lot older) brother. But Dog Fighting Module for SC was meant to be out at Christmas. It is nearly Easter and there is no sign. The scope of SC is massive whilst Elite is small getting bigger. It is a very interesting times to be a space sim fan

[img]http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb9/elite-dangerous/images/5/50/Wiki-background[/img]

Personally I look forward to SC more but I am really, really, rally impressed with Alpha release 3.

Does anyone have any questions I might be able to answer regarding Elite Dangerous?

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
SC Dog Fighting got put back to April, ie a few weeks away unless they delay once again!

Backed/Own a few early access titles but most not mmos.

Here we go! (most bought in sales or on the cheap via bundles), Tenz is going to love this!

Star Citizen (backed)
Kingdom Come Deliverance (KS)
Darkest Dungeon (KS)
Sir You Are Being Hunted (EA)
Prison Architect (EA)
Starbound (EA)
Frozen Endzone (EA)
Kill The Dragon (EA)
Starpoint Gemini 2 (EA)
Arcane Worlds (EA)
Particulars (EA)
Neo Scavenger (EA)
Craft The World (EA)
Project Zomboid (EA)
Steam Marines (EA)
Contagion (EA)
Dungeon Dashers (EA)
Aerena - Clash of Champions (EA)
Verdun (EA)
Paranautical Activity (EA)
Blade Symphony (EA)
Interstellar Marines (EA)
8bitMMO (EA)
Under The Ocean (EA)
Kenshi (EA)

Currently playing any of them? Don't have a laugh! :P
Playing Frozen Endzone

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
FreedomShot wrote:

It was very impressed when going through the docking hatch and into the main station that I did not notice the red flashing lights and gun emplacements inside all pointed at me.

Blue Danube yes/no? You know the rules mate, no Blue Danube, it aint Elite

Gratuitous YouTube Blue Danube funny ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P17_N2iV-ZE

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Tenz wrote:
FreedomShot wrote:

It was very impressed when going through the docking hatch and into the main station that I did not notice the red flashing lights and gun emplacements inside all pointed at me.

Blue Danube yes/no? You know the rules mate, no Blue Danube, it aint Elite

Gratuitous YouTube Blue Danube funny ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P17_N2iV-ZE

I thought I was missing something! Damn I will have to make sure I listen to that next time. They should really have put this in

There is a damn patch that is DLing as slow as my ass so I can not try anymore out tonight on Elite

I just added OR support to SC and feel a bit sick as a consequence and was not wowed by it either. It is not set up for OR yet and was not the immersive experience I was hoping for but given time I am sure it will.

Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:55 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote

FreedomShot wrote:
I got a massage saying I was trespassing then I was shot at...

Sry chap...couldn't resist UT

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
bagsy on that le resistance pic !

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:02 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
BuggerLugs wrote:
bagsy on that le resistance pic !

I Loled

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:44 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
The Repopulation

I am in Alpha 3.

Um.....

Well now ....

It reminded me of that Earthrise game but perhaps that is a little harsh. I can see the SWG similarity right away but it was buggy, slow and very very alpha.

Not an FPS it seems but a simulated FPS.

Sorry that is not too useful but I did not have long to play and thought I would better spend my time in ElderScrolls Online.

I am sorry to say that I am not very impressed by first impressions of this one. But then the original PlanetSide was pretty poor in early beta on a 64MB GPU

Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
The Repopulation

I spent a couple of hours in the Alpha tonight and was very impressed.

It played like SWG should have played. The Hero engine is great. It looks slightly rough but it. Is an alpha.

So what impressed me was the way you can switch to FPS style combat and it feels good and responsive or play traditional SWG way, ie Wow/EQ style. The game seems to have all the depth of SWG and more but using a much more versatile Engine.

We are talking a potentially great game here. Check out the features on the webby but I can say I was pleasantly surprised tonight. It is not PlanetSide 2 combat with SWG depth totally but it was not too far off the mark, actually the combat was way off PS2 but it was not as bad as I first thought and could get used to it.

This is a full on PvP game with a hard core server ruleset option with nation building and inter faction persistent war going on whilst at the same time being a good normal quest MMO experience.

I loved the skill gain after actions taken. I loved the amount of skills and how they interact and open new skills. The crafting looked massive and involving.

I will test more tomorrow.

Amazing what a patch can do for an alpha!

Fri May 23, 2014 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: