Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games View previous topic
View next topic
ReRoll
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
brune wrote:
In reality it's going to be chunks (bricks) set in different areas/climates. The initial brick will be down town montreal.

What, full of French?

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Full of dead Frenchies I would imagine

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
FordPrefect wrote:
Exactly Tenz,

Nice little sound bites that get the hype machine purring.

As for the claim to replicate at scale what the fuck does that even mean?

I will make you guys game right now that accurately models the earth on the scale of 1 lightyear = 1 pixel. (it would be a blackscreen).

Do they want to make a scale down to the cm?

I choose to use surface area to work out the number of cm^2 we need to store a given height value. 510,072,000km^2 or 5.10072 10^13 cm^2.

So how could we hold height information for each square ( the world would look like lots of little squares).

The difference between highest point (Everest) and lowest ( Marianas trench) is 1 988 301 cm, so to hold this information as an integer we need
21 bits minimum unsigned. ( this ignores 4 byte alignment and other quirks of computers that actually make it 24 or even 32)

that mean we need 21bit x 5.100072x10^13 bits or 121.76 Terabytes (2 sf) to represent the earth at this level of detail. Oh and two more 32 bits to address each square (well there about, the earths a sphere not a 2D plane )

That would literally be like mine craft at the cm level. no angles blocks just
little cm cubes.

This totally ignores, wanting floating points, having numerical rounding errors etc.

Of course this can effect the scales in your physic simulations etc and the reality nobody would do it this naively, they break it down into 100km2 and then split each into further chunks till you reached your desired simulation level. But fact remains the actual amount of data, though not in any sense astronomical is still fucking large.

I vote this one of the best posts ever on Fight Club.

Thu May 29, 2014 5:09 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
As suspected, over ambitious and nobody willing to fund it, officially dead in the water.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/06/21/reroll-cancelled/

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: