Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games View previous topic
View next topic
ReRoll
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post ReRoll Reply with quote
How big would you like your sandbox? Planet Earth size? Let's see what we can do!

http://rerollgame.com/

Quote:
"Our ultimate promise is to reproduce, accurately at scale, the whole planet," claim Pixyul - a studio created by two former Ubisoft developers. And what is their ambition in service of? An online open-world survival RPG, naturally.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/02/04/reroll-is-an-open-world-survival-rpg-that-wants-to-map-the-entire-world-and-also-wants-your-money/?utm_source=fb&utm_medium=emp

As a land surveyor that's one survey I'd like to quote for One thing for sure with what the Ordnance Survey charges for digital mapping here in blighty, I'm pretty certain satellite raster imagery will not come cheap!

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Draor

Post Reply with quote
What if we all are already playing this game?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Draor wrote:
What if we all are already playing this game?

mmm think I fucked up my character then!

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
just imagine the sheer magnitude of the task, mapping out the planet 1km2 at a time, just imagine the data volume. whats the next few up on terabyte ?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:48 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
A lot of the data is there, availability, cost for modelling ...

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
omimace

Post Reply with quote
As for mapping out the planet, was there not a big documentary on this bout 5 years ago, the American military had already started and was expected to have the initial version complete by 2020 or something stupid like that. The idea was they could run there military simulations on the live terrain of the current conflict zones within minutes of them changing.
Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
this reminds me of a readers letter in PCG, saying that true life better than eyesight resolution will be here soon. really ? what sort of storage do you need for one persons DNA ? its massive, that's what. theyre talking mapping out particles and whatnot, so no, its decades off imo.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Fooicus
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Sounds like a massive ballache

Quote:
"The only thing you can do with a rowntree's fruit pastille is chew."

I resent that comment, I can think of many other things to do with a fruit pastille
Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Technology has come a long way tbh. Our Faro 3D laser scanner at work surveys up to 976,000 points/second!! up to a maximum range of 200m. (this is a cheap laser scanner too, only 30k a pop!) The downside massive point cloud data files, we send out jobs on 32gb flash drives!

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Daggerfall was the size of the UK. There was fuck all in it and nothing to do outside of the towns. Who cares how big the world is if it's empty?

I smell PR bullshit

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Exactly Tenz,

Nice little sound bites that get the hype machine purring.

As for the claim to replicate at scale what the fuck does that even mean?

I will make you guys game right now that accurately models the earth on the scale of 1 lightyear = 1 pixel. (it would be a blackscreen).

Do they want to make a scale down to the cm?

I choose to use surface area to work out the number of cm^2 we need to store a given height value. 510,072,000km^2 or 5.10072 10^13 cm^2.

So how could we hold height information for each square ( the world would look like lots of little squares).

The difference between highest point (Everest) and lowest ( Marianas trench) is 1 988 301 cm, so to hold this information as an integer we need
21 bits minimum unsigned. ( this ignores 4 byte alignment and other quirks of computers that actually make it 24 or even 32)

that mean we need 21bit x 5.100072x10^13 bits or 121.76 Terabytes (2 sf) to represent the earth at this level of detail. Oh and two more 32 bits to address each square (well there about, the earths a sphere not a 2D plane )

That would literally be like mine craft at the cm level. no angles blocks just
little cm cubes.

This totally ignores, wanting floating points, having numerical rounding errors etc.

Of course this can effect the scales in your physic simulations etc and the reality nobody would do it this naively, they break it down into 100km2 and then split each into further chunks till you reached your desired simulation level. But fact remains the actual amount of data, though not in any sense astronomical is still fucking large.
Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, what Ford just said!

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Website up

http://rerollgame.com/

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Don't see the point in mapping the whole world. I probably wont even leave bradford

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:42 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
In reality it's going to be chunks (bricks) set in different areas/climates. The initial brick will be down town montreal.

Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:45 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » MMO Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: