Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
No Man's Sky...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Single Player + Small Multi Games View previous topic
View next topic
No Man's Sky...
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post No Man's Sky... Reply with quote
If you havent heard of this or seen any footage yet and are a man-space nerd / fan, then get some screen wipes

http://kotaku.com/wow-no-mans-sky-just-stole-the-show-at-the-vgx-1478802599

So hoping that this isn't BS / hoax...and made by only 4 people!

A cross between Elite and Midwinter2 potentially? Please! I've been dreaming of a game like this since I played the latter...that and I've been a sucker for flying subs after watching voyage to the bottom of the sea...

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:32 am View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Showed this to Tenz earlier Made by a 4 man team whose first game was.... Joe Danger!

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
brune wrote:
Showed this to Tenz earlier Made by a 4 man team whose first game was.... Joe Danger!

Was Joe Danger any good? Never played it...or even seen any demos etc

Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I was impressed, then I heard it was from a 4 man team and wondered if it was possible...Nah.

Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything We Know So Far About The Impressive-Looking No Man's Sky

Wow. No Man's Sky Just Stole the Show at the VGX

This is No Man's Sky by Hello Games, which brought us Joe Danger. This is something completely different, a sprawling space adventure, as its Read

Dropping out of the sky like a meteorite during the VGX, No Man's Sky is the game that's seemingly captured the imagination of every video game enthusiast on the planet. But, aside from the amazing trailer, there's not a whole lot known about Hello Games' cosmically ambitious game. Here's the info we've found scattered about the galaxy.

In interviews with various websites, the devs at Hello have mentioned that players will be starting at the edge of space heading to the center of the galaxy. It'll be the same universe for all the game's connected players but individuals will be able to blaze their own trails with consequences that will ripple outward.

"Every planet and every star-system in the game is created procedurally, but they all make sense and have ecology. Once they are discovered by one player, they exist for everyone else, and so the act of discovery is also an act of creation. Having said that, according to Murray, players can make significant changes to the places that they visit that endure for everyone else. [Polygon]1

Grant [Duncan, the art director] said it the other day. 'Is this the first game that doesn't have a skybox?' It's such a weird thing, it's such a techie thing, but that should be our opener: the first game with no skybox." 23

Everyone who plays No Man's Sky will begin the adventure on their own planet at the edge of a shared galaxy. [Eurogamer]4

Any planet you discover on your journey is marked on your galactic map, along with its name, its atmosphere and what resources you found there. If you choose to, you can then share that information with every other player, uploading it so that it's shared across everyone's galactic map.

You'll get credit for discovering it. You'll also, if the materials there are valuable, attract players to come visit.

"How it is at the moment, is that you can't die, but you can lose everythingThere is no saved game. Your game will be saved, your progress is saved all the time as you go along, but if your ship is destroyed then you go back to a lifepod and you've lost that ship, and that is your everything."

"You are not going to boot up the game and find a 15 minute tutorial. You are not going to find a classic RPG structure.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but our background is as console developers, and I think everything about the game bears hallmarks of that. In terms of your controls, in terms of the fluidity of the game, this is not a quirky, hard-to-decipher experience." [Rock Paper Shotgun]5

Read through the write-ups and you'll see mentions of how other players will be able to barter or grief each other No Man's Sky's huge unpredictable science-fiction creation. It sounds like each player will have the chance to leave their mark in the shared galaxy, which might be just the most enticing thing about No Man's Sky.

Robbed off of Kotaku.com

Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
... so it's going to be overrun by Goonies and then promptly ruined as they grief the living shit out of everyone else. Shame, it seemed interesting.
Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Neonin wrote:
... so it's going to be overrun by Goonies and then promptly ruined as they grief the living shit out of everyone else. Shame, it seemed interesting.

First rule of video game design: if you allow players to act like dicks, don't be surprised when they do so at every opportunity.

Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
NimRast
BR (Barrel Rank) 2
BR (Barrel Rank) 2

Post Reply with quote
This game... This game could be awesome!

Here's hoping it doesn't end up being a massive dissappointment :S
Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
*Update*

Quote:
Don't Worry, Indie Sensation No Man's Sky Is Still Coming

After a flood wiped out the offices of Hello Games on Christmas Eve, fans' first thoughts turned to No Man's Sky, which wowed viewers of the Spike VGX a month ago. Will that game be delayed? "We won't let that happen!" The studio writes.

Despite high-spirited statements, an update today does paint a grim picture. "We lost all our PCs, laptops, equipment, furniture, dev-kits, work in the blink of an eye, and our insurer (and those of those around us) seem like we won't be covered, or at least responsibility is unclear," writes Sean Murray, the studio's managing director. "I don't want to say out loud the value of what we lost, it's horrible. It would probably fund a small game "

Murray admits that "I've wanted to be depressed, to wallow, but it's impossible surrounded by this team. If we've lost some work, we'll make up the time." He joked that the studio would work on a boat, if necessary.

Some fans have asked if Hello, makers of the Joe Danger series, would turn to Kickstarter to get back on their feet. "I just don't think it's the right thing for No Man's Sky right now though," Murray says, "and we'd probably rather not eat than do the wrong thing for this game.

For now, the team is working at a cramped temporary location, with others working from home. They expect to move to a new officer or rebuild the old one over the next few months.

"Maybe Christmas was a bad time for this to happen, but New Year's couldn't be better for a fresh start," Murray says. "I couldn't be more excited for 2014. Oh and a minute ago I saw something amazing Dave just got working in No Man's Sky (I can't help but see it, because he's practically sat on my lap)."

The flood [Hello Games]

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
This the only game I'm interested in for the foreseeable future.

I just hope that it turns out to be / play as spectacular as it looks!

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Apparently there are 10 pages of NMS coverage in EDGE this month...any1 got it?

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Check out this youtube vid interview with one of the devs.

This game sounds astounding...

Same universe - check
Persistent - check
Exploration - check

Watch the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NWpdyQXzHw

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Here's the interview with Sean Murray that's part of the EDGE article:

http://www.edge-online.com/news/hello-games-sean-murray-on-creating-and-exploring-no-mans-skys-procedural-worlds/

The whole article is worth a read. Am I the only one remotely excited about this? It makes other notable space games on the horizon look and sound amateurish given it's being made by only four people!

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
mmm I think it looks promising BUT hardly makes the up and coming Star Citizen, Elite:Dangerous or the overlooked Starpoint Gemini 2 (small indie studio too) games look "amateurish"

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
you're doing a lot of mmm today brune

Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Single Player + Small Multi Games All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: