Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
The Oculus Rift
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
The Oculus Rift
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Cheers for that Cater, looks interesting might get a reactive pad inserted into my cornea and have a nano project placed on back of my retina down my local vision express.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kade
BR (Barrel Rank) 1
BR (Barrel Rank) 1

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
"Why did I invest in a kickstarter just so you could sell out. What happens to my investment? How much of that 2 BILLION dollars do I get?"

Nothing.

Because Kickstarter is a pre-purchasing site.

The funds are straight up considered income (which isn't at all surprising as basically any money a company receives that isn't exempt in some way is). But more importantly, in the EU (so the UK KS website, but also theoretically any EU company using a KS website to sell to EU citizens at all), unless it falls into a VAT exempt category, like a book, if a company passes the VAT registration threshold either before, or during a KS campaign, VAT is indeed levied. Even on the 'goodness of their heart' backers.
Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Yes but if kickstarter didn't exist, the investors would have been shareholders and when the company got sold for a mint, those investors would have profited from it.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
FordPrefect wrote:
Cheers for that Cater, looks interesting might get a reactive pad inserted into my cornea and have a nano project placed on back of my retina down my local vision express.

Thx...I think. You feeling ok?

The lady who designed CastAR is Jeri something or other (Ellsworth is it?), pretty amazing electronics engineer. The projectors are built into the glasses and are fookin tiny. Apparently it is pretty good. But clearly it is overshadowed by the OR.

There are other systems that worry me that allege to beam images into yours eyes directly, but this doesn't work that way.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I was watching the Masters Breakfast show on Sky this morning and they have a shot centre thing set up to demonstrate how to play various holes.You hit an actual golf ball into a screen and then it projects where it would go.

Obviously that setup must be seriously expensive but couple an Occulus Rift with a Kinect and you could play an actual round of golf in your back garden! That would be awesome

Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
I'm not entirely sure I would call that "awesome".... I'll go, politely, with "different".

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:42 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I admit that to anyone watching you swinging golf clubs at thin air you would like a twat. But inside the rift you would be hitting a monster drive down the first at Pebble Beach and thus wouldn't give a toss about anyone watching you

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Tenz wrote:
I admit that to anyone watching you swinging golf clubs at thin air you would like a twat. But inside the rift you would be hitting a monster drive down the first at Pebble Beach and thus wouldn't give a toss about anyone watching you

Or you could "virtually" be playing something better than shitty golf

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Cricket against the Aussies? Fencing? Archery?

The technology is there, the processing and graphics capabilities are nearly there... Can't wait
Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
$600 is apparently "in the ballpark" of the $350 they were originally aiming for as late as September... plus the graphics and processor upgrades I'd need, plus the fact that $600 somehow equates to 500 before shipping, and I'm out.

All you clever bastards who backed the kickstarter and have DK1/2 sets are getting one for free though, nice one
Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
All the more glad there's plenty of VR headsets coming out, hope it'll drive the prices down. 410 excluding tax and shipping is steep, but looking at what you get, a remote, an xbox one controller with the wireless dongle (which costs about 55 together) and some 3D positional sensor, wonder if the headset can work fine without the remote and 3D sensor? So it could easily sell for around 300 just for the headset as the packaging would be smaller and lighter too?

Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Well it was always going to be well outside of what I could afford but when they announced the 500 + 30 shipping I pmsl.

Still makes me smile thinking about it and the flaming threads of flame that I've read this afternoon

TY Palmey Luckey, for the lulz.

Now to see how expensive the PSVR set retails at...Will it be cheap enough for consumers or will it add to my smile

I'll be pleased either way o_0!

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:19 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
As an aside...I just got a mail from Overclock and their "VR ready" labelled PCs start at a over a grand

The Lulz roll on

It's given me great pleasure to read such negative comments from the Glorious PC master race today. (Yes I'd love to be able to afford both!)

Most comments I've read have generally derided the units price but lots went on to say that they would have considered it if it was 100 cheaper AND didn't require a massive hardware upgrade to work well. So presumably they'll get to it at some point...

ps - I don't actually want this tech to fail btw, just amused greatly by the wall of negativity after the years of positive hype.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:23 am View user's profile Send private message
Tiger313
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Tenz wrote:

Still don't geddit what's so enjoyable about hitting a ball with a stick in a very uncomfortable manner.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:58 am View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! FIVE HUNDRED HUMAN POUNDS?!!!!

Fuck...that.

Quote:
All you clever bastards who backed the kickstarter and have DK1/2 sets are getting one for free though, nice one

However, this pretty good of them.

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:02 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: