Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
The Oculus Rift
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
The Oculus Rift
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Heard about this yesterday and thought wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut?

So maybe within 10 years we'll start seeing Facebook tagged on everything kinda like how Google is...

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 am View user's profile Send private message
Kade
BR (Barrel Rank) 1
BR (Barrel Rank) 1

Post Reply with quote
If I was the Sony executive in charge of their VR, I would be absolutely laughing.

Even if this might well be a good buy in terms of actually buying it, $2 billion is nuts, Facebook being involved diminishes the value, and Oculus have just seriously spurned the very people who've gotten them off the ground with KS. I absolutely understand Notch's reaction, even if it wasn't Facebook. And so often people say a platform is nothing without software, so why in a million years would you do something that is likely to make the people who develop said software actively choose your competitor?

On another note, this and the Whatsapp acquisition would make me absolutely sell any Facebook stock as it is very clear Zuck and co don't trust their company's market valuation at all. By a factor of 4 to 8 times given the amounts of stock their giving to those behind these companies.
Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Social websites are used by a ficke consumer base. Facebook are pretty smart financially. They know that its popularity is a ticking time bomb and investing their money in companies with a strong base will help them stay relevant long after their social site has gone kaputt.

That said, this was not a smart move for Oculus VR. If it has been Microsoft that purchased the company I could have understood it, and quite frankly Microsoft should really have tried harder (I'm presuming they did). I don't see what benefit having your product tied to a company with no previous experience in electronics is going to give you no matter how populer it is.
Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
That dude who made Minecraft has cancelled his deal with Oculus because Facebok 'creeps him out'. Probably a very smart move by him in the long run.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
Masacre
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Well, my interest in this product went from pretty interested to no thanks. I wouldn't be surprised if you're required to tie the software in with a facebook account to get it to work.
Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Yeah I can just imagine it, you are trying to immerse yourself in a galactic space flight sim and you get a pop up saying "Douchy McDouchbag has posted some shit you didn't care about on the wall you never read".
Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
FiendishOne
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Facebook is taking over! :O

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:02 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I really like the 3rd prototype model. I can see it as something I would want to buy.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Saw this picture and made me laugh out loud

Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Saw that a few weeks ago. What was the original title?

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Some other (ahem) less than positive posts about the Facebook takeover...

http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
Morbeth
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
If had been Microsoft, I would have been disappointed, but not to the extent of not wanting to touch it at all. As I could have understand them wanting to get into the VR game for the X-Box like Sony did for the PS4. In this case Microsoft would have the advantage as the Oculus could have been made to work for the X-Box One with out killing it on the PC (they're both running a windows based kernel).

Had it been Google, I would have been sad, but understanding.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:49 am View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Morbeth wrote:
Had it been Google, I would have been sad, but understanding.

I think the possibilities of a Rift/Google Glass hybrid would have been quite interesting so yeah, I could understand Google getting it.

Facebook though? Things would have been better if the PR machine hadn't immediately engaged and just started waffling instead of actually giving answers to important questions like "Just how much are Facebook going to interfere with the development of this platform?" and "Why did I invest in a kickstarter just so you could sell out. What happens to my investment? How much of that 2 BILLION dollars do I get?"

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 am View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
im not worried, how many times vr been round now? I don't think this or sony will be the next greatest thing.

Oh yeah there will be a luxury consumer market, but its not going to be mainstream hit. VR I can't see it as ubiquitous as smart phones, tv etc.

There comes a point where our own evolutionary traits interfere with technology. VRs problem are not solely placed at visual fidelity. Everyone has a strong sense of personal space, our brains are full of mental shortcuts and biases to help us react without conscious thought.

VR implicitly mess with these aspects and they can be pretty much personal to your own experience. When there are perceptible inconsistency with your brains reality and the VR you get associated discomforts sure some people can atune themselves and others can't.

Its the uncanny valley, the point where your brain starts to forget your controlling a model or an alternate reality and believe that this is your reality. Then you jarred out of it, when you don't feel your body turn when you eyes just did. YOu could use 3rd Person views and stuff to combat it but then you kind of not VR anymore.

So, though I love to think that entertainment revolution arrives with the rift I not expecting it to be the must have. I see more potential in augmented reality than purely virtual one.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:59 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
@Ford - Have you seen "CastAR"? It can supposedly do both AR and VR!

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: