Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
The Oculus Rift
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
The Oculus Rift
Veranmis
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
1 - that links leads me else where
2 - Lugs, wrong thing to make jokes about
3 - damn poor luck

Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:36 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Masacre
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Meh, anything should be ok to make a joke about. People die and there is poverty/injustices in the world, such is the way of life. It is most definitely a shame of course, but still. Hope this doesn't affect the product too much, it most definitely has potential.
Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Marry it up to Kinect and you'd have a hell of a lot of possibilities. Movement on a bigger version of a Wii-Fit board maybe? Lean in the direction you want to go whilst swinging a sword in one hand and blocking blows with the other. Skyrim goes hardcore

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:31 am View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
you could add a warm melon to that mix
Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Masacre wrote:
Meh, anything should be ok to make a joke about. People die and there is poverty/injustices in the world, such is the way of life. It is most definitely a shame of course, but still. Hope this doesn't affect the product too much, it most definitely has potential.

Bloody Scandinavian liberals

Yes and no, dude. It's like the whole 'freedom of speech' argument which is constantly debated in the UK (mainly by racists). Freedom of speech only works when used in conjnction with respect and humility.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:48 am View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Kryokill wrote:
Masacre wrote:

Bloody Scandinavian liberals

Yes and no, dude. It's like the whole 'freedom of speech' argument which is constantly debated in the UK (mainly by racists). Freedom of speech only works when used in conjnction with respect and humility.

Yeah, right on have that you in bred viking, herring loving pale skinned, day walker.

Yeah rock on. FREEDOM!
Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
My kit arrived a few weeks back.

For some reason I wanted to be in the right frame of mind before opening it.

I left it there after unpacking it and glorying in how light the headset was. Left it there and avoided going on the PC. I was just a bit reluctant to see if the thing that I imagined from reading Neuromancer could actually be true.

Last night I cracked.

It was pretty intuitive how to set up.

Plug 2 DVI cables into GPU. One to main monitor and one to Oculus Rift. Set graphics settings to screen clone and reduce resolution right down to 1280x800.

Plug in a USB connection to the rift box.

Load up the Tuscany Villa Demo made in Unity Engine.

Put the unit on the head. And .... er wow, yes it is like you are there looking at this room with a fire. I quickly took the headset off and looked around the room and sat down. I tentively tried it on again and wam I was back in the room and I could move my head it is freeky. I could actually see around the room by looking. I looked down at my hands on the keyboard but saw the tiled floor of the villa. I presses w and my guy moved forward which was odd as I have not "moved" as such so it felt like I was floating. Then I turned around half by actually turning and also assisted by the mouse which acts as your eyes so to speak which the OC represents your head.

I floated up stairs and out into this garden with amazing mountains in the distance that look like you could walk to. The sky was blue with clouds and birds and then I started clapping as I realised that this was it. It has been done.

I also felt like I was going to be sick.

I ripped the rift off and I was sweating and looked around the room and you know when as a kid you look at the TV really close up it makes things look weird when you turn around? Well same with this. I got out of my chair and had to double think that yes this was real and that room was not.

I promptly laid on the bed till I fell asleep.

This is tomorrow and the Rift is on the table next to this keyboard. will I pick it up and put it one again?

Not sure. I think I might just go to the markets before the monsoon kicks in again. Later I might just try this Skyrim mod that allows for the rift.

If I am able to not be sick and pass out that is.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:15 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Masacre
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Yikes, sounds like an intense experience. Sounds like my kind of device though, as I can usually adapt to 3D environments quite easily.
Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:32 am View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Nice little writeup there Freedom. Only thing that bothers me is bad eyestrain with this device.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:24 am View user's profile Send private message
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Wow, okay.

This being sick, is that from "weirdness on the eyes" or from not being able to properly tell the Rift's images from reality?

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Probably because Freedom was shot full of heroin or mid ganja haze :P

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Morbeth
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Did you do the setup bit to adjust the images to your interpupillary distance (the distance between your eyes)? If you wear glasses, you should be able to easily get that number from your optometrist and just enter it in the 'rift. Otherwise from one video I watched, there is a setup screen (at least in TF2) to walk you through making the adjustment. Supposedly that helps a lot with the initial adjustment period.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
FreedomShot wrote:
My kit arrived a few weeks back.

For some reason I wanted to be in the right frame of mind before opening it.

As brune previously mentioned that state involved prescription medication of which plenty flows the streets of Mumbai

When you coming close to home Si?
Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
mdk wrote:
Nice little writeup there Freedom. Only thing that bothers me is bad eyestrain with this device.

Here here!

@FS - lucky git Also...check the back of your neck for a small round hole please...

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
how much was that beast ?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: