Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
The Oculus Rift
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
The Oculus Rift
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post The Oculus Rift Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=P50fvL_EWYY

If you are interested in the next big thing then watch this vid. Looks like my William Gibson cyber dream is becoming closer to reality....

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:57 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
*Drumming fingers on table

It will arrive eventually.....

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:29 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
This will cost a fortune.

Presumably you'll need a bigger rig to lose those extra compute cycles needed for the feedback etc?

If I could afford it...this + decent rig + ARMA3 =

Have you actually ordered one Freedom?

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Just needs more game support, then that might drive price down a little.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
NO I have not ordered one. I have been given one I want it to arrive now!!!

LIke I said before Carter it is not demanding on the rig at all. We are talking about graphics that are quite outdated by todays standards as the resolution is still low. Unreal 3 and Unity work on it so it is not bad but not cutting edge. SO far the Cry engine will not work with it but it can not be long now till the interface it properly.

No extra kit is needed.

Yes I would wait for 6 months MDK. A lot of developers have just got their kits so realistically new games designed for it will be at least 12 months away but older games will be made compatable with it within 6 months.

I am sure it will drop in price as well. Sweet spot would be about ú250. I am sure that can happen with mass production.

I wonder which tech company is going to buy this?

Or perhaps they just release there own version.

Sony are miles behind of thier VR thing, I tried that and it was utterly pants. Like 2 distant TV screens.

The Oculus is something completely different. It is putting your head in another world if you read/watch the people that have tried it already. Much less harmfull than LSD as well

AH now there is a though - The Oculus Rift and LSD ....... NIGHTMARESS

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:25 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
http://m.joystiq.com/2013/04/22/skyrim-can-run-on-oculus-rift-please-remember-the-real-world/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

Skyrim works on the Oculus.......oh Mr oh my, this is so cool. This is just amazing news. Next they will say PS2 will run on it!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
I was wondering how bad / good it will be for people with goggles like what I have to wear?

Are u aware of whether u an focus each eye...like with Binoculars or not?

ps - didn't realise that the dev kit is $300...so sub-300 sounds right for retail product I guess.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Oh nice. Bethesda getting on board should really kick up interest, Hey I'll have a piece of that!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Yes, that is pretty cool. But tbf to Bethesda their games aren't currently as popular as CoD. Now if that crowd got interested then it might become mainstream!

Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Its a single LCD screen a few inches from your eyes, the screen is split and also the projection is skewed to account for your natural field of view.

the games has to render 3/4 of each scene twice, 1 for each eye. Problems of course is your eye focus, nearby and distant objects will be in sharp focus and that feel a bit odd.

My brother was building one till he fried his lcd screen, by accidentally placing the control board on his screwdriver.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
My 90 year old grandmother tries the Oculus Rift - http://youtu.be/pAC5SeNH8jw

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
I also wondered if you can setup user configs for this thing...given how specific you have to be during setup. Also wondered how often it needs to be re-calibrated to you, given that we're all prone to subtle physical changes on a day to day basis...also how heavy it is? Must kill your neck after a reasonable gaming session (3hrs plus) etc... lots of pondering about this one atm...

ps - yes I did skip chunks of the youtube video as, frankly, watching people set it up got boring after a while

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Veranmis
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
FreedomShot wrote:

Skyrim works on the Oculus......!

Carter wrote:
Yes, that is pretty cool. But tbf to Bethesda their games aren't currently as popular as CoD. Now if that crowd got interested then it might become mainstream!

CoD kiddies *shiver*

Carter wrote:
I also wondered if you can setup user configs for this thing...given how specific you have to be during setup. Also wondered how often it needs to be re-calibrated to you, given that we're all prone to subtle physical changes on a day to day basis...also how heavy it is? Must kill your neck after a reasonable gaming session (3hrs plus) etc... lots of pondering about this one atm...

ps - yes I did skip chunks of the youtube video as, frankly, watching people set it up got boring after a while

don't remember if that review vid was from here, think it was, with the guy playing TF2... seemed to cause him so focussing issues, even if only for a bit ..
doubt having something that close for severals will be good for your eyes but looks nice at least

Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:45 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
mmm sad news for one of the co-founders/engineers working on this, he got run over and killed by a car being chased by police

http://www.ign.com/blogs/splitmindeddude/2013/06/01/oculus-rift-engineer-dies-at-33

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:04 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
they probably thought it was a homeless man

Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:48 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: