Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
New Build - PS2 focus
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
New Build - PS2 focus
Jimonimovegas

Post Reply with quote
Would anybody wait for haswell?

Would also like to know if anybody has any opinions on steam roller. One of the things about the fx6300 which first Attracted me is that AMD use the same socket for a lot longer and I had heard steamroller will be using am3+.
Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
what are all these new terms

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:36 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Got an older i5 - Core i5 750 2.66G, Gigabyte P55M-UD2 mb and 12gb ram (1600mhz) along with a 660ti and PS2 runs smooth, unless SOE introduce patch curve balls! My main bottleneck is my first generation i5 processor.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
The single biggest factor in Planetside 2 performance is the CPU. You can make the game look like complete ass if you're using a poor graphics card (which yours isn't), but you cannot do much at all about the CPU requirements. I have a fast processor and a fast video card, and with everything cranked to the max I am still CPU capped in large fights.

That being said.....I've whipped out this anecdote before, and I'll probably do so again in the future. Trust me when I tell you this is "the real deal", though, I just don't feel like looking up the thread, or compiling a list of people who say they get poor performance with fantastic machines:

The thread I'm referring to was from a guy stating that he felt SOE's optimization of PS2 was unacceptable, as he was running the game on one of the Core i7 39xx processors, using triple or quadruple GTX 690 SLI, and in large fights he wouldn't get more than 60 FPS.

I feel that Pig spoke truth. Like Planetside 1 before it, getting good performance in PS2 requires a bit of luck, too. I vividly remember doing the RAM-stick-shuffle playing PS1 to try and get better performance. Bit of luck and a good processor on a good motherboard is what you need most.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jimonimovegas

Post Reply with quote
Just revisited the recommended specs. Hadn't noticed that it recommends 8gb of ram. Has any body increased their ram while they have been playing planetside 2?

Brunes recommendation for 12 makes my wonder home many frames you would get for 12 or even higher.
Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
tbh ram is so cheap atm you might aswell plump for 12 or more. I did that not for PS2 but jsut because ram was cheap enough.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
FordPrefect wrote:
tbh ram is so cheap atm you might aswell plump for 12 or more. I did that not for PS2 but jsut because ram was cheap enough.

Yeah I have 12gb for the same reason it would have been rude not to

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:45 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
and coz youre a toight cant

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:29 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jimonimovegas

Post Reply with quote
Spinky wrote:
Off the top of my head, with little to no research. Got this.

http://www.ebuyer.com/262580-corsair-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-vengeance-memory-cmz8gx3m2a1600c9b 54.40
http://www.ebuyer.com/349029-intel-core-i5-3570k-3-4ghz-socket-1155-6mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80637i53570k 182.54
http://www.ebuyer.com/351597-gigabyte-ga-z77x-d3h-socket-1155-vga-dvi-hdmi-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-z77x-d3h 100.25

- 8 gig of 1600mhz DDR3 ought to be enough within your budget but the mobo I picked supports 2 more sticks if you want to get more in the future
- The chip, well, it's an i5 Ivybridge, Intel are pretty much winning when it comes to PS2. The K version can be overclocked if you want to do that also.
- The mobo, looked good on paper, guru3d seemed to like it as a budget board. Supports sli in case you fancy another card, also more RAM in case you want more of that too. Overclocking was reported to be 'okay' but guru3d got some good speeds out of it.

Haven't included a heatsink as the stock cooler tends to be good enough, if you really want one though the arctic cooling freezer 13 serves me well, the arctic cooling i30 is just fucking huge, as my flatmate found out on Friday, so pick that only if you have plenty of space in your case. Same goes for the pro 13 really but still, it's a beast :|

Comes to 337.19. Within budget I guess, no idea if it's any use to you though

That guru3d review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_z77x_d3h_motherboard_review,1.html

For anybody who's interested I have bought the parts above. I managed to get them for 289 using FLUBIT. I'll post FPS on here when I get it built so others can decide whether it is a good upgrade.

Prepare for me to be crying like a mardy c u next Tuesday if I don't see any difference.
Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:28 am View user's profile Send private message
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
I have exactly that CPU on exactly that motherboard, welcome to the cool kids' club.

Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:40 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
the new PC is on order, looking forward to rage-quitting a lot less

Wed May 08, 2013 5:22 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
BuggerLugs wrote:
the new PC is on order, looking forward to rage-quitting a lot less

Or rage quitting a lot more because you spent all that money and still suck!

Wed May 08, 2013 6:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
but it'll be sucking in style

Wed May 08, 2013 6:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
brune
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
BuggerLugs wrote:
but it'll be sucking in style

Bangkok Stylie!

Wed May 08, 2013 7:33 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: