Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
New monitor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
New monitor
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post New monitor Reply with quote
So I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'm using a ~6 year old Belinea 22" Artistline. Back then it was "mediocre" at best, but good value for the money. Recently I was at a LAN with friends and seeing my monitor next to the others made me realize mine looks objectively worse. A lot worse. Flatter, duller, probably slower and with more smearing, and all around shittier.

I kind of want a Benq XL2420T. It can swivel, change height, pivot, give you a rimjob. It is 24", runs at 120 Hz, is 3D ready, is the fastest screen on the market (far as I know, certainly in this price range). It packs a TN+ panel, so no "prettier" IPS panel. I can deal. It'll be a massive step up from my current piece.

That out of the way: I'd like to know if it is "worth it" to buy a monitor like this. I realize I am paying a premium for this being a "gaming" monitor. Everything that is "made for gamers" has a price premium on it, and I'm fine with that in this case, because what I want is a 120 Hz monitor that's really fast, can change height and swivel/pivot, while looking good...and this one fits the bill. I guess 24" would be a nice step up, too. Sure, I won't be running with 120 FPS but I hear that it's simply more pleasant on the eyes. I wouldn't mind that.

Going with those "wants" (120 Hz, swiveable/height/pivotable, effin' fast) - is there any reason not to buy the Benq XL2420T? It'll set me back 360'ish euros (that's 305 imperial monopoly money). That's not for free - but it's far from a 1000 euro screen.

Last edited by OmegrAve on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
24" and it gives u a rimjob you say...

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
does it wash up and walk the dog though ?

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:57 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
BuggerLugs wrote:
does it wash up and walk the dog though ?

If it does, you can divorce the wife!

I have a 22 inch LG LED monitor, and it's fantastic. I bought it about a year ago after reading it was one of the best on the market in that price range (£150-ish mark). You can get the same one in bigger sizes, but it's not the size, its how you use it as some women say. I'd defo recommend an LG

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:01 am View user's profile Send private message
n0yz

Post Reply with quote
I don´t know about the Benq, but I can highly recommend this one: http://www.amazon.de/Dell-UltraSharp-U2412M-Monitor-Reaktionszeit/dp/B005JN9310/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360581067&sr=8-1

- Absolute smooth gameplay
- Very Perdy IPS display
- Simple looks
- Pivot
- Displayport
- 16:10 (I do enjoy those extra 100 pixels)

I´ve got 3 of these at home and I love them. Not just gaming wise but also for surfing, Photoshop or just working with Office / IDE´s.

Here are some reviews:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm
http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2011/test-dell-u2412m.html
Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:17 am View user's profile Send private message
PiingThiing

Post Reply with quote
I recently upgraded to the xl2410t, just before the 20t was announced(story of my life). From what I gather it has the same panel and same specs. The Fps mode gets a mixed review, personally it looks just right for my taste. And of coarse if its true that u get what u pay for, then it reassuringly expensive

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:15 pm View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
I bought exactly that monitor for my fiancée's birthday, n0yz. I wanted to get her an IPS screen and, well, in the price range it's that Dell or something inferior, period.

For myself I really want something that's blazing fucking fast, though. I'm fine with image quality suffering a bit.

I've read that the XL2420T is actually slightly dated, the go-to model for fast monitors is now the XL2411T or the Asus VG248QE. They use the same screen, with a 1 ms respond time. The Benq will push out 120 Hz, the Asus 144 Hz. Not sure on which one of the two yet....

I'm also not entirely sure if I really want to go with a 120 Hz monitor no matter what. "People" keep saying that it only matters if you push more than 120 FPS (which Planetside, the only shooter I currently play, will not EVER) but frankly "people" are fucking retarded. Even if you're dealing with 30 FPS, you'll be seeing those frames 4 times and when a changed state does arrive, it will do so faster on a better performing (in this case, faster) monitor. Is my reasoning. Basically, I notice blur when dealing with fast-moving objects. Also strafing opponents - yes, the point is to exploit the netcode and FPS limitations when strafing, but that should not cause blur which is what I'm seeing on my piece of junk. If I buy a new monitor, then, I reckon I might as well go with the very fastest, non-blurry monitor there is available.

Thanks for the thoughts so far.

Edit: actually, I think both will run 144 Hz

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:17 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Saw the XL2720T at CeBIT, Benq launched that one there. Looked nice. Should be the "big brother" to the XL2411T. Way too expensive for me right now, though, and not interested in 27" considering how close I'm sitting to the monitor. I think I'll be buying an XL2411T (from Great Britain, prices are oddly low there) this week.

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:12 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Bought the XL2411T, being shipped over from YOUR MAJESTY'S ISLE. I might make a video comparing it side-by-side to the Dell U2312HM considering both are quite popular and I have access to the latter since my girlfriend has one for her gamingz.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
choice mate, god save the queen

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:55 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
shit, the correct terminology would've been "Her Majesty's Isles" if anything, no?

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:17 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, you're not talking to her you're talking to us

Let us know how it works out, I'll want to replace my shitty DGM 23" at some point.

Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:48 am View user's profile Send private message
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Should be arriving tomorrow. I'm fucking hoping it won't have any dead schlongy pixels, or got dropped off of a cliff along the way.

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Azraeel

Post Reply with quote
I have a 22" LG and a 24" Asus. Both great monitors.

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
OmegrAve
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Monitor received, but I need a GB to EU power plug adapter. I thought I had one, but that's a US to EU adapter. Waiting another day for that thingy to arrive. Bloody Brits on your thumbnail island circlejerking over your own Super Special currency and power plugs....

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: