Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
New PSU (and maybe case)

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
New PSU (and maybe case)
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post New PSU (and maybe case) Reply with quote
Ok, so my PSU is making very horrible noises whenever it starts up and it's cold in the room. Usually after 10-15 minutes of running it stops, but I figure that can't be a good noise. From what I've read I'm guessing the bearings are going.

Sooooooo... I think I need a new one. My current one is an Arctic Power 700W. The one I've been looking at to replace it is this one which basically seems to be the more recent model. The important thing here is it has its fan on the back and not the top, because my current case does not have air holes for one of those.

System specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 (stock, I don't generally overclock)
Radeon HD4870 1GB
12GB Corsair DDR3 1333
Samsung 1TB SATAII
Some CDR/DVD-ROM thing

If that won't do then I'll need to replace the case as well for something that can handle a PSU with a top-mounted fan, so any recommendations would be handy.

Oh, and bear in mind I'm a dirty scummy student so my budget isn't exactly huge
Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:55 am View user's profile Send private message
Masacre
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
If your comp ran fine before with a wattage of 700 then you should be ok. Just make sure that the new PSU has all the connectors you need.
Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Pig
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
A PSU of 700W is MORE than enough to run what you have and more.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
EDIT: Never mind, dropping down to a 500W would only save me a tenner, I may as well get the 700W and have that extra headroom

So I could use a lower wattage PSU then? Is it worth downgrading (I don't plan on running Crossfire or upgrading anything else until I can basically buy a new computer now) to save myself a bit of money compared to getting another 700? That's money I can spend on MWO! :P
Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
Morbeth
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Take a look at the power efficiency ratings of the two PSU's as well. Since the 700W supply is way more than you actually need, its going to spend a lot of time at 1/4 to 1/2 load, which may put it in a range that costs you more than the 500W on your electricity bill.

For example (these are just random numbers pulled out of my arse so your real world numbers will differ), say your hardware uses 150W idling and 300W fully loaded. And the 700W supply has an 80+ efficiency rating, and the 500W has an 80+ Gold (see the Extremetech link below for more info).

Code:

Wattage   20% Load   50% Load   100% load
PS1 (80+)      700      80.00%   80.00%   80.00%
PS2 (80+ Gold)   500      87.00%   90.00%   87.00%

System Load (W)
Idle:   150
Full:   300

Load %   Real Power Usage (W)
PS1 @ Idle      21.43%   187.50
PS1 @ Full      42.86%   375.00
PS2 @ Idle      30.00%   172.41
PS2 @ Full      60.00%   344.83

Diff (W)
@ Idle:   15.09
@ Full:   30.17

The efficiency pertentage at a load level is how much power the supply is using that actually gets put out as power to the components. With an 80% efficency, for every 100W of power, 80W goes to your components, and 20W is dissipated as waste heat in the supply.

So with this simple comparison (remember real world numbers will be slightly different), the 500W power supply will also save you money over the long term in a slightly reduced electric bill.

Here's a link to my spreadsheet I did the numbers in, so you can make a copy and plug your own variations in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkM0kxIZOB9zdHJlc3N6ZmlZSV9oSnBSZWVsUDhrQlE

Here's a link to an article that may be of some help:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143029-empowered-can-high-efficiency-power-supplies-cut-your-electricity-bill

[edit:] Fixed typo about load fraction.
[edit 2:] Removed erroneous [/code] at the end of the Extremetech url.

Last edited by Morbeth on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Cheers Morb, I'll have a fiddle with that before I choose which one to go for then. Never even considered it from that perspective before!
Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Thanks to the tips from everyone and a bit of judicious spending of the xmas/birthday money, I ended up with... a 450W PSU! :P

Bought an XFX PRO450W which as well as having a single rail is also 80+ Bronze certified and has a decent ampage on the rail, which I had no idea was important but apparently is.

This wouldn't have been enough, but I treated myself and upgraded the 4870 to a 7850 2GB which, while being a fair bit better according to benchmarks (and apparently is the best card you can get in that price bracket which surprised me because I thought nVidia had that end sewn up), has less than half the power consumption at full whack than my old one!

Also, I'm an idiot. I was avoiding buying the ones with big fans on because my case doesn't have an airhole at the top without realising that the big fan pointed into the case not out of it *coughsplutter* so that wasn't an issue

All that for 180 including next day delivery from Leeds to Wolves despite the bad weather.

Thanks for the help all
Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: