Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Raspberry PI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic View previous topic
View next topic
Raspberry PI
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I love this article:- http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/raspberry-pi-turned-into-a-super-nintendo-console

Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Latest version of OS=

Quote:

Introducing turbo mode: up to 50% more performance for free
Posted on September 19, 2012 by eben

Since launch, we’ve supported overclocking and overvolting your Raspberry Pi by editing config.txt. Overvolting provided more overclocking headroom, but voided your warranty because we were concerned it would decrease the lifetime of the SoC; we set a sticky bit inside BCM2835 to allow us to spot boards which have been overvolted.

We’ve been doing a lot of work to understand the impact of voltage and temperature on lifetime, and are now able to offer a “turbo mode”, which dynamically enables overclock and overvolt under the control of a cpufreq driver, without affecting your warranty. We are happy that the combination of only applying turbo when busy, and limiting turbo when the BCM2835′s internal temperature reaches 85°C, means there will be no measurable reduction in the lifetime of your Raspberry Pi.

You can now choose from one of five overclock presets in raspi-config, the highest of which runs the ARM at 1GHz. The level of stable overclock you can achieve will depend on your specific Pi and on the quality of your power supply; we suggest that Quake 3 is a good stress test for checking if a particular level is completely stable. If you choose too high an overclock, your Pi may fail to boot, in which case holding down the shift key during boot up will disable the overclock for that boot, allowing you to select a lower level.

What does this mean? Comparing the new image with 1GHz turbo enabled, against the previous image at 700MHz, nbench reports 52% faster on integer, 64% faster on floating point and 55% faster on memory.

Previous image (2012-08-16-wheezy-raspbian):

BYTEmark* Native Mode Benchmark ver. 2 (10/95)
Index-split by Andrew D. Balsa (11/97)
Linux/Unix* port by Uwe F. Mayer (12/96,11/97)

TEST : Iterations/sec. : Old Index : New Index
: : Pentium 90* : AMD K6/233*
--------------------:------------------:-------------:------------
NUMERIC SORT : 222.08 : 5.70 : 1.87
STRING SORT : 31.659 : 14.15 : 2.19
BITFIELD : 7.1294e+07 : 12.23 : 2.55
FP EMULATION : 44.808 : 21.50 : 4.96
FOURIER : 2188.1 : 2.49 : 1.40
ASSIGNMENT : 2.6545 : 10.10 : 2.62
IDEA : 671.41 : 10.27 : 3.05
HUFFMAN : 414.2 : 11.49 : 3.67
NEURAL NET : 2.9586 : 4.75 : 2.00
LU DECOMPOSITION : 77.374 : 4.01 : 2.89
=====================ORIGINAL BYTEMARK RESULTS=====================
INTEGER INDEX : 11.414
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 3.619
Baseline (MSDOS*) : Pentium* 90, 256 KB L2-cache, ...
=========================LINUX DATA BELOW==========================
CPU :
L2 Cache :
C compiler : arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
libc : static
MEMORY INDEX : 2.447
INTEGER INDEX : 3.192
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 2.007
Baseline (LINUX) : AMD K6/233*, 512 KB L2-cache, gcc 2.7.2.3, ..
* Trademarks are property of their respective holder.

New image, with 1GHz turbo enabled:

BYTEmark* Native Mode Benchmark ver. 2 (10/95)
Index-split by Andrew D. Balsa (11/97)
Linux/Unix* port by Uwe F. Mayer (12/96,11/97)

TEST : Iterations/sec. : Old Index : New Index
: : Pentium 90* : AMD K6/233*
--------------------:------------------:-------------:------------
NUMERIC SORT : 340.8 : 8.74 : 2.87
STRING SORT : 47.52 : 21.23 : 3.29
BITFIELD : 1.05e+08 : 18.01 : 3.76
FP EMULATION : 66.32 : 31.82 : 7.34
FOURIER : 3431 : 3.90 : 2.19
ASSIGNMENT : 4.5311 : 17.24 : 4.47
IDEA : 991.67 : 15.17 : 4.50
HUFFMAN : 615.08 : 17.06 : 5.45
NEURAL NET : 4.76 : 7.65 : 3.22
LU DECOMPOSITION : 135.12 : 7.00 : 5.05
=====================ORIGINAL BYTEMARK RESULTS=====================
INTEGER INDEX : 17.356
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 5.933
Baseline (MSDOS*) : Pentium* 90, 256 KB L2-cache, ...
=========================LINUX DATA BELOW==========================
CPU :
L2 Cache :
C compiler : arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc
libc : static
MEMORY INDEX : 3.810
INTEGER INDEX : 4.768
FLOATING-POINT INDEX: 3.291
Baseline (LINUX) : AMD K6/233*, 512 KB L2-cache, gcc 2.7.2.3, ..
* Trademarks are property of their respective holder.

Other changes to the latest firmware include:

Temperature and frequency widgets

You can enable a core temperature widget for the lxde taskbar to see how close to 85°C you get (in the UK, it’s not very), and a cpufreq widget that will show the current ARM frequency when you hover over it. See here for more details.

USB interrupt rate reduction

We have enabled Gordon’s “FIQ Fix” in the USB driver, which reduces the USB interrupt rate, improving general performance by about 10%.

WiFi is now supported out of the box

If your WiFi driver is supported by the default linux tree, or is based on the popular RTL8188CUS chipset, then WiFi should work out of the box. Boot the image with the WiFi dongle plugged in (a powered hub is recommended). Run startx and select “WiFi Config”. You can scan for wireless networks and enter your wireless password and connect from the GUI. No need to install additional packages or scripts.

Improved analogue audio

Analogue audio quality has been improved.

Extra software installed by default

SmartSim and PenguinsPuzzle are pre-installed.

If you are using an older wheezy image, you can upgrade: “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade” will get almost all these improvements.

Thanks to MrEngman for his amazing work supporting users with various WiFi dongle, Dorian Peake for the cpufreq and temperature drivers, and Dmitry Dudkin for his work on the USB and SD card drivers.

Some big improvements there. DL'ing right now and will update if it was worth the hype! I must get Quake 3 installed and running, tho I would prefer Quake 1 and Doom 2 if I'm entirely honest with myself! Q3 for show tho

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
SminkyBazzA
BR (Barrel Rank) 2
BR (Barrel Rank) 2

Post Reply with quote
Having finally given in earlier in the week, I've received a shipping notification for my raspi today

My housemate got his last week, so has already done the whole media centre thing, so I'm thinking of what I can do that might involve my old mini. First to mind is something involving video capture at speed, or a HUD projecting (somehow) navigation/speed/etc onto an angled CD case... perhaps getting a bit ahead of myself!

Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Wish I still had my mini

The new build of debian is amazing. So much faster than the last one.

Got Quake 3 running last night. It's got one major issue atm (cant see the main menu!) but works brilliantly otherwise.

Also got doom running

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 am View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Nice one mate - you really have gotten into this eh?

If it can play Doom 3 then it could be used with the Oculous Rift and you can have full 3D immersion...

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:56 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
FreedomShot wrote:
Nice one mate - you really have gotten into this eh?

If it can play Doom 3 then it could be used with the Oculous Rift and you can have full 3D immersion...

I wish it could play Doom3 m8y. The processor runs well (overclocked safely to 800MHz) and iirc the graphics chip is better than the original xbox BUT the systems only has 256MB of RAM, shared between both gfx chip and CPU, meaning you have to be wise in how much u allocate to each. It;s an interesting challenge for someone to come up with a memory manager that can chop and chang e(if this is possible) depending on teh software you run but iirc u need to reboot when changing the mem balance anyway so that may not be possible...

Sry got carried away...so basically the chipset(s) might run Doom3 as well as it ran on xbox 1 but the memory is probably too huge a bottleneck for a game like that sadly

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
RaspberryPi...now with added RAM

Due to price cuts in the RAM component you now get 512MB for the same price that you used to get 256MB

<bumpage aswell btw!>

ps - They are now made in the UK

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Now with added Risc OS

Back to the old days of Zarch / Virus when Braben wasnt a cunt!

Apparently is pretty fast and has some good software available for free download too...

Ill post my findings as soon as my new SD card gets here.

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
zarch and then that zeo/beo/geowolf thing

Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Minecraft (or more specifically - pocket Minecraft) arrived on the Raspi for free this week

It's currently at version 0.1.1 and allows direct programming (though it looks more like simple scripting to me) via a command line Python entry

If u have a Pi then head over to http://pi.minecraft.net/ for further details / DL instructions etc.

It works ok but still needs work! Apparently it's best to run this at std clock speeds rather than the OC which you will need to set using "raspi-config".

Also if you update your Raspian (Debian) distro via the "Sudo apt-get update" / sudo apt-get upgrade" commands there is an updated version of Scratch available to try plus other bits I won't pretend to understand at this point!

Enjoy

Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 am View user's profile Send private message
Crendel
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
...what's a raspi?

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Just got myself a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, it now has Bluetooth and Wireless LAN which is pretty damn awesome, I'm currently using it for the 3DS's in my house to get global streetpass hits and it's a pretty nifty little device when you see what people have been using it for. Blows my mind that a PC can now fit inside your pocket, I mean ok, that's been the case with mobiles and smartphones for years, but still.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:02 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
+1

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:05 am View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I haven't been taken back too much by the Pi, but I did have an interest in the Arduino a while back, being more interested in electronics than programing.

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:14 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
BuggerLugs wrote:
I haven't been taken back too much by the Pi, but I did have an interest in the Arduino a while back, being more interested in electronics than programing.

We use one in a display to get floppy drives to play the Game of Thrones theme.... NERD ALERT!!

Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: