Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Raspberry PI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic View previous topic
View next topic
Raspberry PI
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
That is great Carter

I will defo do this when Zaki is a bit older. Or I might do it earlier and see if I can build myself an android device that does something or other !

Sun May 27, 2012 6:55 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Big grin here from me...sorry this is not meant as gloating so apologies if it comes across as such!

Typing this reply from my Pi Took ages sorting out the screen config...long story short, if ur going HDMI only check what resolutions your monitor can ACTUALLY handle...then adjust the settings carefully.

It's a great feeling seeing the Pi logo up and running and fitting the screen

Updating it in the background...buying a case soon...then we'll see what we can do with this neat little thing.

I'll add more Pi adventures if anyone is interested?

Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
yeah let me know how it goes.

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:06 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Will do

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 am View user's profile Send private message
Alumion
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
I just got an email telling me I can now preorder it from Farnell. For 36 pounds. I know that it's still not a lot, but why does it cost 2x as much as initially?
Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Alumion wrote:
I just got an email telling me I can now preorder it from Farnell. For 36 pounds. I know that it's still not a lot, but why does it cost 2x as much as initially?

How is that twice as much, and does that include postage? Mine was about that inc postage iirc.

Ordered through Farnell / Element 14 and weirdly the invoice didn't arrive for about a week after my Pi o_0!

Update on Pi...I may have screwed up my previously stable install via "GParted" (partitioning software).

Resorted to that because Windows wasn't much help...and is now saying that the install is corrupted, yet it still works...

Hmm.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I wants one. :D

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
It's eerily quiet using it...no moving parts and all that

So used to the PC fans humming in the background

I want a case for it (they have been affectionately referred to as "Crusts" by some on the forums...

Oh, talking of which:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/ <- mainpage

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/ <- forums

Some good help on there getting setup etc, also check out the [inevitable] raspberry Pi wiki

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Hub

Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Alumion
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
Isn't it supposed to cost 25$? 25$~16 pounds
It's without postage

Has anyone tried using Android on it?
Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Alumion wrote:
Isn't it supposed to cost 25$? 25$~16 pounds
It's without postage

Yes but we always get screwed over with price comparisons in this country... In other words it's common for $25 to be charged at 25. We often get the shaft

I think you'll also find that the 25 bucks is subject to sales tax which changes all over the states, is that right? Here it's called VAT and is set at 20%

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:09 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Re: Android... Not heard of anyone running it yet.

I was under the impression that android needs the next Gen version of the Arm processor used in the Pi to run properly. RasPi people said that they consider the next version but stuck with the one they currently use to keep costs down.

Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:14 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Alumion wrote:

The answer given on their FAQ page is as follows:

Quote:
Will it run Android?

If someone in the community can port a version of Android to work with 256MB of RAM, then itll run on the Raspberry Pi.

I thought that there was another technical reason but apprently it's just he limited available memory.

Incidentally, for any1 that's interested, you can adjust the way that the memory is shared between CPU and GPU.

Mine currently has 64MB for gfx mem and the rest for cpu. (256MB total btw)

Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
How do you increase the memory? I am getting interested in this thing as it is a tinkerers gold mine!

Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Alumion
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
I don't think you can since the entire gig is that the hardware is very compact/tightly integrated
Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Quote:

Debian wheezy public beta
Posted on June 19, 2012 by eben

Alex has produced a new reference image based on the upcoming Debian wheezy release. This incorporates Doms latest firmware, and numerous kernel patches for performance and stability. Over the next couple of weeks, we will be running a public beta program to identify major bugs, and in particular regressions relative to the existing Debian squeeze image.

Although this is a beta release, you will almost definitely find it a worthwhile upgrade. Please give it a try, and report issues here.
Torrent 2012-06-18-wheezy-beta.zip.torrent
Direct download 2012-06-18-wheezy-beta.zip
SHA-1 cbe18f5a27ee2d3110d71b8316bfa465a9bc29f6
Default login Username: pi Password: raspberry

Thanks to everyone on the forums who tested an earlier version of this release, and in particular to lb for investigating SD card performance issues and contributing patches. Notes:

It will fit on a 2GB SD card, but 4GB will leave you with a more comfortable amount of room; we now include a tool to make it easy to resize the filesystem to use the full SD card.
Future firmware updates will be delivered via apt-get upgrade.
The first boot is expected to be slower than subsequent boots.

Hot off the Raspberry Pi webpage, news of a new build arrives...and...it's rather good

Decided to go fresh install / re-image SD-card...at 1.8Gig it's not the end of the world and it was only settings that I was losing anyway.

Went perfectly.

Upon 1st boot you now get a menu against a blue background that allows you to configure a few things (keyboard etc) but it also allows you to fill up the sd-card by expanding the linux install...rather than using GParted or a windows alternative to do the same job. As the partition is expanded you lose nothing and gain space

When you've finished this process you can check a simple box to ignore the "raspi-config" program upon consecutive boots.

One problem I've found is that of my monitor / TV. It has been a bugger to get the overscan right and, if u find the same problem that I get, I advise that you start at reducing the overscan by 50 (left and right) and work your way back to a good screen width. changing by a factor of 5 each time seems to work best for me.

The new build creates a boot config file in the Boot folder already (previously you had to make one) and fills it up with hashed out info and commands for you to change as you see fit.

the menus have also been changed. Desktop response times are much improved (menus opening, programs opening etc) and they've taken the liberty of including a "Debian Wheezy" reference guide now.

Another change is the addition of desktop icons for the programs that the Foundation hope will get the most use, namely:

Midori - provides you with a simple yet versatile web browser
IDLE - provides a Python 2.7 SHELL, IDLE 3 does the same for the latest 3.x version of Python
Scratch -> provides a desktop icon for the MIT originated scripted programming software <- trying to get my son into this! (2nd son!)

LXTerminal -> Linux CLI

All in all it's a big improvement so I can't wait for the next release. This one is considered a beta now.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: