Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Raspberry PI
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic View previous topic
View next topic
Raspberry PI
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Raspberry PI Reply with quote
I will be getting me one or two of these when they finally arrive

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Essentially its a computer for $25 or $35 dollars the linked faq above covers most of it. Its an admirable goal and I hope it brings about a new era of home-brew and hobbyist experimentation. For the price you get a lot of power (equivalent to original xbox) an operating system (linux).

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Nice but it will just collect dust for you on the shelf surely?

If it would run torrent software I would have one to just DL stuff 24/7

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vizix
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
the only usefulness i can see of this project is for young talents with not enough money having the chance to use computers, in combination with free internet it could be a great step towards global access to information and education for free
Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 am View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I see this having mass proliferation and generating a whole new market. Maybe not in the west but in the growing economies $25 bucks might just be affordable.

I could see this been embraced by countries like Brazil, India and China and mostly ignored by Europe and US and it will be to our detriment.

I buy one, I buy several and give them to my kids and nieces and nephews and I even use a few to run media centres off. And I still have change from a Windows 7 Home licence fee.

One last thing, lets say you fancy learning C++ (having done so myself I can talk from this perspective). To achieve this one windows you have to get over many hurdles. First you need to get a compiler, which one to use? Well you using a MS OS so why not try them? $1999 for the software seriously? wow oh you do a free edition (That is suitably crippled) I use that then. Ok now then lets look a Helloworld C++ program. Right so that looks simple enough.

Go to Visual studio, create a project (windows or console?) lets create console. should I Tick empty project and uncheck AFX or MFC etc.. Oh my fucking god. So now I got a project with a lot of junk OS specific crap that I have no idea what it does. How do I link a library. what is linking a library? What do I need.
How do I create a file and how do I build it? Essentially there is lot of bullshit to get round, its not impossible its fairly well documented (as everyone on Windows has had to do it).

Now I learn't on Linux as that's the environment my research group used (cause it was free) To do a hello world program you did this.

Code:

vi HelloWorld.cpp (vi is a editor)
#include <iostream>
int main()
{
 std::cout << "Helloworld" << std::endl();
 return 0;
}

exit the editor and then type

g++ helloworld.cpp -o MyFirstProgram
MyFirstProgram
Helloworld.

Everything I need to do was already on the computer for free, could be done from command line and had the fewest barriers.

Thats the makers point with this device, but as its just a smart phone without the phone it can and will be put to so many more uses. From media centres to air drone controllers.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Looks and sounds like a great idea. My second son, yes the one that plays wot too much, has recently shown interest in coding and this could tempt me to give it a go after a number of aborted attempts over the years!

Stranger things have happened!

Nice one Ford.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
Vizix
BR (Barrel Rank) 3
BR (Barrel Rank) 3

Post Reply with quote
i'd say java for example is very accessible and not os dependent and so are many other editors and programs - the os is simply not relevant for that, c++ will still allow better hardware support and will for that reason be the one thing within games and high end apps and can't be compared really with some simpler languages with easier library access - open source is nice but limited in resources and like a talent without the connections, everything that has been produced is simply a copy of the same thing(windows) but for free. it's cool but not any better or really different. In my eyes i rather see that windows itself becomes open source so we are not all wasting our time on open source copies like a bunch of activists/hippies.
Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17190918

It is out today ú22.

I do hope that it sparks some British revival in programming. Some of the best things in the world have come from these Isles some very bad stuff as well.

Even the Internet was created by a Brit although I think it is highly contensious to say that an idea that is so natural as the Internet was created by any one individual.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:23 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Indeed freedom, today Blighty is decommissioning one of the worlds oldest (and apparently first commercial nuclear reactor) after nearly 60 years of use.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
This is great news

I just hope that they (the govt) get them into schools like they did the BBC b They already stated that they will be changing ICT to be less office based and more about computing. I hope they don't fuck it up for all our kids sakes.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Got my pre-order notification from Farnell / Element14

Total price is ú29.46 inc p&p and a free t-shirt o_0!

Just gotta wait my turn in teh queue now...tappity tappity...

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
ive just got a texas intruments calculator, can't wait to type BOOBLESS on it

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:21 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
BuggerLugs wrote:
ive just got a texas intruments calculator, can't wait to type BOOBLESS on it

Old skool ftw!

Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Quote:
Your order will be available W/C 30/04/2012
Farnell

o_0! Damn that's a backlog!

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
FordPrefect
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
yeah thats why I haven't bothered placing order yet. It ramp up production I dont think they expected that amount of interest.

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
FordPrefect wrote:
I dont think they expected that amount of interest.

I concur

Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: