Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Did anyone try or buy the Hive or Oculus?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic View previous topic
View next topic
Did anyone try or buy the Hive or Oculus?
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Did anyone try or buy the Hive or Oculus? Reply with quote
Got a Vive a few days ago, wonderful little tech. I read alot of reviews, watched lots of videos, people raved about it, knew it'd be something special, but I still wasn't prepared for how damn amazing it is. Got 3 free games with it, Google Tilt (3D drawing, it's pretty amazing, can draw/paint a box and climb inside of it), Zombie Training Simulator (My fave of the 3, 1st person shooter with brilliant cartoony graphics, lots of weapons, very fun shooting) and The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed (1st person adventure exploration) which is a marvel to see, looks incredible. I've never tried VR before, so when I first put it on, I was surprised how easy the device was on my eyes, I was expecting my eyes to have to refocus or to have eye strain, but there's none of that so far for me, it immediately places you inside the gameworld, it's instantaneous and it looks amazing.

Played Valve's The Lab the most (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASVku-48N8Q), incredibly fun. Comes with 8 minigames but I especially like the one called Xortex where your hand becomes the spaceship, like a kid with a toy aeroplane making it fly around and doing loops, this is exactly what this game feels like and it's alot of fun dodging bullets, doing nice manoeuvres by twisting your hand to avoid lasers. Longbow is especially cool, you're stood on the wall of your castle and you must defend the main gate with your longbow, simple but addictive, you can even turn around and light the head of the arrow on a torch behind you, and peering over the ledge to shoot enemies passing underneath you is nifty.

Downloaded Minecraft with a mod called Vivecraft (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcvu9o5FyQE) so that it makes it playable on a Vive with motion controller support, apparently made by a single guy and supposedly better then the official Oculus version, it's interesting and my son loves it.

And Half Life 2, decided to try that one in VR, it's freaking incredible, like you'r really there and also incredibly fightening at the same time, but you play this one with keyboard and mouse or controller and run around like you do but it makes you feel sick after a while (hence why most games let you teleport around), but it's another amazing Vive experience.

You can also download an addon for Steam called Revive which lets you play Oculus games on the Vive. Tried Lucky's Escape (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbhFj34g0Cs, it plays like a typical Mario game, but your head controls the 3rd person camera, so you can look all around the gameworld and control the character with your XB1 controller, it plays great and there's little gimmicky gameplay elements like aiming with your head to throw bombs at things around the level to do stuff.

Farlands, you visit planets, discover creatures and plant life, research these creatures, interact with them, cool little game. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zQgUgeJuHg

It feels like gaming is new all over again, I've had more fun these past few days then I have in years with gaming. For that lovely bit of escapism when you can't drive several hundreds miles away from society to escape from it for a little bit, to get away from all the people and noise of everyday life for awhile, oh and seeing how my kids react to it is priceless, they love their short turns with it (don't want to risk hurting their sensitive eyes), they find it fascinating and watching them sit down to stroke a robot dog and rubbing its belly or throwing a stick so it can fetch it is adorable.

Really hope VR is here to stay! :D

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:23 am View user's profile Send private message
DodgeIt
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Location: Standing proud with KingA at my feet polishing my helmet.

Post Reply with quote
I'm tempted to get one, but they are a little bit pricey. I'll probably wait till the next generation hits

Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:27 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Vive is £760 on Steam, Oculus is £550. Fuck that shit.

I get that it's the next big thing in gaming and I actually do beleive it will radically change the games we play but for that amount they can stuff it for another 5 years

I have so much unplayed stuff in my Steam list I can live without the cutting edge until it has blunted a bit.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
HTC can shove it up their arse sideways along with the £70 brexit tax.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Roehrig

Post Reply with quote
I heard the Oculus still sucks despite being so expensive.
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:09 am View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I would have thought I would get one as soon as they were released last year but for some reason I am not that bothered.

Personally all I want is to have totally immersive space experience so hopefully Star Citizen will eventually adopt it, I think Elite already does.

Also all the wires and stuff is off putting. Perhaps when they have a totally wireless system then it would be more appealing.

Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:43 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
It is still a little early to be sure but I suspect this wave of VR has been killed at birth. Too many competing formats and decent games cost too much to make so publishers will be wary of committing to one format that may only sell a handful of games.

They need a common API or just wait until Sony gains sufficient market momentum to kill off the rest properly.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:53 am View user's profile Send private message
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
The whole Oculus thing really put me off. The guy that so called invented it hardly invented anything at all. It was technology that was around and he just put together a prototype kit. Then he seemed to get into too deep water with various "business friends" screwing him over and ultimately making billions from being bought out. I bet Lucky Palmer is in rehab now. Too much money, too young.

I like the way Valve just went ahead and made it's own tech and it seems the Vive is the better product anyway.

I did try the original oculus and was blown away, then felt sick.

There is still a future for it but it is strange that no one really bought it on a mass scale.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:53 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
I had the PSVR but ditched it a few months back so that I could afford a Switch.

It was ok. The tracking was pretty good but most games required a lounge slightly wider than ours (11 foot) and I found that the sofa got int eh way a fair bit o_0!

Still, it was a more than competent example of the tech and I enjoyed it while I had it. BUT I had two complaints:

1. No "killer app" for me at least and
2. The resolution was not great. Again, competent but not great - just a little blurry for my tastes.

Roll-on PSVR2...or whatever comes next. I'm still interested in the CastAR, whenever that comes out.

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Still loving my Vive. Heard Valve are working on 3 VR titles, so looking forward to seeing what comes of that. Cannot wait for Fallout 4 VR and DOOM VR, Skyrim VR is coming out for PSVR so hoping it comes to PC at some point. Vive just released a new headstrap with integrated speakers (https://www.vive.com/uk/vive-deluxe-audio-strap/), tempted to grab that as it positions the Vive better on the face, but that should have come with Vive in the first place. HTC are working on a Vive 2 it seems with cheaper base stations and a much better controller much like Oculus Touch, but people wanting 4k resolution on the headset this soon are clearly not grasping how demanding VR is. I'm waiting for the Geforce 1080 to go down in price to get that for VR, my 970 which is overclocked with a modified bios still struggles with a few of the VR games I really like, sadly. And The Gallery - Episode 2 comes out in September, The Gallery - Call of the Starseed is one of the best VR games so looking forward to the followup title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEJxaiMgmXQ

Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:24 am View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Oculus plus Touch controllers for £398.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/oculus/summer-of-rift

Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:07 am View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
So, looking at Dead Effect 2 VR on Steam thinking how awesome it looks (http://store.steampowered.com/app/646200/Dead_Effect_2_VR/) and checked the screenshots from the community...Ofcourse, put a woman in dress in a game and well, everyone is trying to grope her!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=970181996

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
You sure that wasn't you?

Interesting note, the Oculus bundle with the Touch controllers does NOT come with an XBox pad, so if you want to use VR with a normal gamepad make sure you've already got one or are prepared to buy one.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Well I was briefly tempted, more by the Hive than the Occulus due to Steam support.

Then I looked at the price.

Then I picked myself up off the floor and looked at the price again.

Then I went on Amazon an saw that for that money I could buy an Xbox One and a Playstation 4 and still have a couple of hundred quid left over for games.

Yep, it may be awesome and it may be the next big thing but for £750 it can jog on. I have a lot of unplayed games in my Steam library to keep me busy until that thing becomes reasonable

It's a question of value over price. I just don't value VR anywhere near that price

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
you mean a couple of hundred quid left for 3 or 4 games

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » General Chat & Offtopic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: