Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
What's good these days (PC Upgrades)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
What's good these days (PC Upgrades)?
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Okeee I have between 300 and 400 squids to spend on HW upgrades...

is this any good for the money?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/8pack-approved-intel-core-i5-6400-4.4ghz-overclocked-quad-core-gaming-bundle-bu-050-as.html

and no, I can't do both gfx card and m'bd / cpu / mem sadly, it's either or, and I'm gonna stick with the 460GTX until funds allow for that to be upgraded.

(plz bare in mind that I'm going up from a Core2duo to this...)

Of course if anyone can spot a better combo for about the same price please let me know

Ta in advance.

Mon May 30, 2016 7:35 am View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Unless you're desperate I'd hold off til the end of the year. New graphics technology is coming out this year with nVidia's latest cards already announced, and there should be some new CPU stuff coming through as well.

Have a butchers:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/31/gaming-cpu-2016/

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/17/2016-graphics-cards/

Quite a few of the things mentioned in these have started to happen now, with a few commenters on more recent stuff bemoaning the fact they didn't listen and hold off for 12 months
Mon May 30, 2016 8:44 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
To be fair I've held off for about 6 years already, tho I do appreciate the tips, thanks chap.

Mon May 30, 2016 9:20 am View user's profile Send private message
Subtlestrife

Post Reply with quote
If you can get your hands on one, the GTX 1080 is something of a quantum leap in Graphics tech.
Significantly more powerful than the famous Titan, but about half the power requirements and nearly half the price!
Problem is, from what I heard, the first batch (founder's edition) sold out almost instantaneously

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167378-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Massive-Jump-in-Graphics-Card-Technology
Mon May 30, 2016 10:54 am View user's profile Send private message
Carter
BR (Barrel Rank) 6
BR (Barrel Rank) 6

Post Reply with quote
Subtlestrife wrote:
If you can get your hands on one, the GTX 1080 is something of a quantum leap in Graphics tech.
Significantly more powerful than the famous Titan, but about half the power requirements and nearly half the price!
Problem is, from what I heard, the first batch (founder's edition) sold out almost instantaneously

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167378-Nvidia-GTX-1080-Massive-Jump-in-Graphics-Card-Technology

Yes, I had read about that card adn they are about what 600 each? Which is pretty good but way above what I have to spend.

Mon May 30, 2016 3:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Wouldn't upgrade your graphics card yet with that fossil of a CPU!

That's a decent looking combo, but spend the extra on the 2x 8GB RAM, 2 x 4GB is just a waste of memory slots.

Why hasn't the 980 ti gone down in price yet, it's almost the same price as a 1080, maybe soon eh? >_>

Mon May 30, 2016 5:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Kryokill
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Speaking of fossil CPUs...

Trying to replace my old i3 with an i5 3570K for general gaming purpose (nowt flashy). Anyone have one going spare, or know somebody selling?

Tue May 31, 2016 7:50 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: