Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Dedicated disk vs Massive C Drive

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support View previous topic
View next topic
Dedicated disk vs Massive C Drive
FreedomShot
Administrator
Administrator

Post Dedicated disk vs Massive C Drive Reply with quote
Does anyone know and is able to explain their answer to this:

Is disk access just as fast to if I were to add a new SSD to my system on which to store all Steam games on. Or would having everything on the SSD C drive be the better option?

I have a 120gb C SSD C drive at the moment but do not fancy re-installing windows and all that stuff (I am using a modded version of Windows 10) so was thinking it might be better to just keep the C Drive and move my steam directory off my none SSD Drive E onto the new 500Gb SSD I have.

Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Disk access when playing games is mostly on the drive the game is installed to, with some minor drive access for the OS. Having Windows on one SSD and your Steam games on another is, as far as I understand it, probably going to be better than having both on the same drive as your computer can access two disks at once to do two different things, whereas if they're all on the same one it has to do one at a time...

Of course we're talking milliseconds here, so whether you'd even notice the difference between two SSDs and one large SSD is debatable.
Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Cruzbastien

Post Reply with quote
The fact that it is the content.
Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 am
Cruzbastien

Post Reply with quote
There are diverse in content.
Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:50 am
Kirbs
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
I run an SSD for my operating system and purely nothing else. This keeps the OS accessing at lightning speeds. For my storage drive where I keep everything else I use a 2TB Sata 3 drive which, even though its not SSD, is still fast as fuck.

The best set up is of course three hard drives, One SSD for OS, one for a couple of games and a standard hard drive for storage. Just bear in mind that GTA5 is a 60GB download, so your looking at about 4 games installed considering what you'd like to play. Better of going with a quality sata 3 storage drive if you ask me.

In your case freedom, since you have two SSD drives, just leave your OS on the 120GB and put everything else to the other SSD including games. In time maybe look into getting a normal HDD just for storage if you need too.

There is a saying PC builders always quote from south park.

If you put your important files on the same drive as your operating system, your gonna have a bad time.
Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:54 am View user's profile Send private message
BuggerLugs
Administrator
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
I have C: SSD, and 2x 1Tb HD as storage in mirror mode. I'm considering getting a dedicated SSD for games such as GTA V to add to the set up. it works pretty well.

Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Technical Support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: