Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SO much for the new matchmaker...

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Mechwarrior Online View previous topic
View next topic
SO much for the new matchmaker...
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post SO much for the new matchmaker... Reply with quote
Quote:
Our data shows that the lone wolf queue times are still too long so we are rolling back to the previous match making system while we analyze the data and debug why lone wolf queue times are too long.

Borked
Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Riktor Voshek

Post Reply with quote
If it's quick for a group but slow for solo, then I really really hope it's just a bug rather than something wrong at the paradigm level; if anything you would have thought solo's would be easier to plug into gaps in groups. Hope it comes back soon as the games I did get were really good!

Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
mdk
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Piranha still messing their players around?

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Shouldn't be too difficult to fix, it worked like a dream when we were grouped. Probably some kind of database lookup issue, the more players online the slower it got when the reverse should have been true

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
Riktor Voshek

Post Reply with quote
Ahha, bugs indeed!

"So as most of you are aware yesterday’s rollout of Matchmaking Phase 3 ran into a couple of issues:

· The lone wolf queue time was too long
· 8 man groups were incorrectly mixing with lone wolf players

These have both been confirmed to be bugs, both have now been found and addressed. We were using the right scale of internal data to test the match maker but the pattern encountered on live was not anticipated, with the telemetry from the time ELO was enabled yesterday on production both issues were reproduced and solved. These issues had nothing to do with player pool size.

This confirms a well-known maxim that there is no perfect substitute for live data, we have been working internally towards addressing this by opening up public tests during our staging process and we will likely accelerate these plans to ensure we’re getting better scale testing for future patches.

For those of you that experienced ELO briefly yesterday we know you had a great time, the changes are now back in test and we hope to have ELO back up and running sometime later today if both issues clear testing, to get everyone experiencing the quality of matches we had for a while yesterday.

Thanks for your patience while we work to resolve these issues.

Testing confirms both issues are resolved servers are coming down at 2:30pm PST to turn ELO back on. "

Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
So it should be online again now? That was quick, I have to give them that... assuming it's working properly now anyway
Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm View user's profile Send private message
Masacre
BR (Barrel Rank) 4
BR (Barrel Rank) 4

Post Reply with quote
Good to hear that it was a result of a bug and not lack of players. Hopefully things will go more smoothly now.
Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Well, as we discovered last night, the new match maker has a few issues still.

The main one is it no longer matches mechs by weight. We dropped in a match last night where we had 2 Assaults and the other team had 5. Given that ELO now matches players of roughly the same skill level together, give one team of equally skilled guys a 200-300 ton advantage and it's going to be a rollover

The other issue is the increase in cheese builds. I'm hoping that is due to the 'tournament' running at the moment. Hopefully the cheese players will play loads of games with the OP builds over this weekend and artificially up their ELO ranking. Fuckers will be in for a shock when they want to run a normal build and get their arses handed to them

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:12 am View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Dammit I was hoping to partake, but I didn't get home till half 10 Maybe tonight... I want to take advantage of that 50% bonus on my Wang to build up the CBills to outfit Mr Versatile properly!
Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
Riktor Voshek

Post Reply with quote
Just to clarify the weight issue:

"Is the match maker taking weight class into account?

Yes the version currently live on production does take weight class into account. The way the match maker works it tries to group players within certain thresholds and grows those thresholds over time to ensure a match is made within currently a 2 minute time period.

These curves will likely see some tuning for both skill and weight as we monitor the data coming in and work to ensure more and more matches are created within good thresholds. This tuning will happen over the course of upcoming patches."

So it's not that it doesn't match by weight at all, it's more that the parameters get looser over time.

Played 25 games this afternoon, won 14, lost 11. I'd say it's working ok.

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Hmm, I think they are full of it. If it assigns 6 assaults to a game, how bloody hard can it be to stick 3 on each team instead of 4 on one and 2 on the other?

Does not compute

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Mechwarrior Online All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: