Fight Club Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Adapting builds to the recent changes

Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Mechwarrior Online View previous topic
View next topic
Adapting builds to the recent changes
Tenz
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Adapting builds to the recent changes Reply with quote
Figured this warrants a separate thread from the last patch notes.

Basically, the last couple of patches have had a subtle but still significant effect on how the game plays. Some builds are now obsolete, some older non-optimal builds suddenly look like they would shine again.

Alpine has killed the short range only builds. You need to be pretty fast to get away with only a short range package now. You can still run one and 80% of the maps you'll be fine but the next Desert map will be the same size as well. Also the changes to PPCs, with lower heat and now disrupting ECM, mean adding one of these to your builds has real advantages.

Facial Extreme, despite the buff to LBX-10s, is now obsolete. So long buddy *sniff* I'll miss you But seriously, it was a cheese build despite how much I denied it, it was just people didn't have the mix of patience and recklessness needed to pull it off when easier versions were available like 2 x AC/20 & Gausscat. While it was stupid and fun, for the sake of game balance it is a good thing it isn't viable any more along with boating streaks and SRMs.

Taking a dual shotgun build onto Alpine would be bad. Very, very bad. Maybe I'll revive it if they ever get the shotguns working as they are supposed to with a cannister shot exploding just before the target, allowing the 500m range to work.

On the other hand, my founders Cat has gone from a bit 'meh' with 2 x PPC, 2 x SRM 6 & 2 x MPL to being rather spiffy. Used to be it didn't have the punch to deal with up-close, short ranged boaters but now as an all-rounder, it has a place. Also, the Flame configured as a Grand Dragon with an ERPPC, 2 x ML & an SRM 6 running at over 100KPH is a nasty flanker and seriously messes with ECM mechs.

Give it a couple of weeks and it will be interesting to see what the new FotM builds will be. The Gausscat is obviously going to see a revival but it doesn't run very fast and now has extra explody weapons too.

Best bet at the moment is to try and fit at least one PPC/ERPPC and learn to snipe while moving

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 am View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
Yeah I've been looking at Phract loadouts, and for the first time I'm tempted back to the 2X...
  • 280 Standard engine (71.8kph speed tweak)
  • 13 Double heatsinks, Endo-steel
  • 1 x AC5 (2t ammo), 1 x PPC, 2 x SRM6 (2t ammo), 1 x Medium Pulse Laser, AMS (1t ammo)
  • 40.88% efficiency
Basically I stole part of Rik's Cat build, with the AC5 and the PPC working at the same optimal range so that would be one group. MPL and SRM6 for people who get up close. You could swap the MPL for two Mediums and have one in the arm and one in the torso, but I always find that bloody confusing to aim. Could change to an ERPPC but that drops the efficiency by 5%.

Figures I'd want a new Phract after I spent some MC on camo for my 1X last night...
Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Sokoprok

Post Reply with quote
I bought one of the Trebs and am quite enjoying it. A bit of ER PPC, 3 ML's and 10 LRM is nice at 200m and has a bit of speed. I discovered an old love from MW4 and started bouncing around rooftops on River City with it and it was fun while it lasted (Gausscat turned up)..
Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
Riktor Voshek

Post Reply with quote
I had a couple of games yesterday in a Wang with an XL300 and an ER Large Laser in the chest, plus the AC20 in the arm of course. I wouldn't want to brawl in it, but it seemed bloody good as a fast striker, and the ER means you're not useless in a peek-a-boo ranged fight either.

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Neonin
BR (Barrel Rank) 5
BR (Barrel Rank) 5

Post Reply with quote
But... but... You can't zombie a Wang with an XL?!?!?!?!?!

On the plus side I've bought a 5-button mouse so I can manage more than two weapon groups now (always use middle mouse for TS)
Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Fight Club Forum Index » Mechwarrior Online All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: